Old 04-17-2024, 11:30am   #19
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 79.4%

Thanked 8,312 Times in 4,130 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
Did you watch the video? You saw the inside of the air cleaner and think this car needs an engine and trans rebuild? We may find out. If you watch the video, they say there are plans for one of the cars to be made road worthy again by another youtube channel.
No. Didn't. My mechanical experience tells me that seals and gaskets that sit for 4 + decades harden and fail. The engine will likely run, but will soon start leaking from every seal and seam. The transmission, if an automatic, will need all new piston seals and rubber parts. The brakes, same thing. The parts themselves likely OK, but they will need to be taken apart and re-sealed. If you are a mechanic, not a big deal. If you aren't, a big deal.

I bought my '61 after sitting for 25 years in an airplane hangar. It needed an engine overhaul, transmission overhaul, new brake system, new fuel system, and new cooling system. It cost me less than $5k to do all of this, doing all the work myself. If I had paid someone to do the work, it would have been $45,000 or so, at our labor rates. So not worth it, considering the purchase price of the car.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post: