Old 03-29-2024, 9:08am   #41
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,937 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by donuts View Post
True story.. I had quite a few engineering students work for me over the years and several who stuck it out all 4 years so I took them to the Indy 500 for their graduation gift. They said they wanted to ride motorcycles up there , from Oklahoma , and we did. One kid had an older Suzuki cruiser that was carbureted and on the way up it was sputtering a bit but we made it, on the way home it just wouldn’t run hardly at all. We stopped over at big travel stop area for the night and in the morning we filled up and it wouldn’t start back up. We got it pushed to the side and those smart dudes could only think of one thing to do, and that was to tear down that carb I looked at them and laughed and asked if they had even thought about googling the issue and they looked at me like I was nuts, I had already pulled up a video on YouTube that described the issue perfectly and all it was was clogged up vacuum tubes .. 5 minutes later we were on the road. They’re all extremely successful today in their fields thanks to my leadership and school of common sense..
My Dad was an electrical engineer and avid DIYer. Most of what I know about buildings is from my grandfather, himself a product of an 8th grade education, then manual labor where the most sophisticated tool was a bottle jack. Both of these fine men taught me common sense and working smart. I've done the same with my son and now working on my son-in-law to bring him up to speed.

Over my 45 year career I've mentored many less experienced engineers, teaching them about common sense. I was trained using 2-dimensional drafting, a calculator, pencil and paper and the younger guys had something called "software". I recall several times where their PC would spit out bullshit and I'd ask them "does that make sense to you?", repeating it until they got the message.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote