Old 03-26-2024, 9:03pm   #35
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 10,419 Times in 4,402 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Actually it's very logical. Most of us can agree that the current generation, growing up playing games on their cell phones instead of being outside playing sports, hunting, fishing, and building tree forts, are missing out on the finer things in life and will likely cost us all dearly in the future. In other words, the more connected to the physical world, the better off we are.

None of us know at what point do we become "disconnected" due to technology. So the Amish err on the side of caution. They have found a way to be happy without following any trends.

I happen to think that it's admirable. And it's not at all a bad way to live.

If I had been Harrison's Ford character in Witness, and happened upon Kelly McGuiness's character, I'm fairly certain that I never would have left.

The Amish were founded around 1700. So if the tech and culture was good then and bad later, why didn't they adopt the tech/culture of 1500? Or 1200?
Wouldn't that be even better?

I grew up with some of this thinking although we had electricity, cars and phones, but no radios or TV and no going to movies. Nobody worked on Sunday except cooking and dishes (no yard work, house work, or laundry) no swearing or foul language ever. This religion was founded in the late 1800s and many of the customs I grew up with mirrored that era. This wasn't just a Sunday thing for my parents, like many "religious" people -- they lived it every minute of every day til they drew their last breaths. My father was the epitome of a "turn the other cheek" Christian.

One of my cousins in PA that I've been in contact with (via Face Time) in the past couple of years joined when young (I never did, I rebelled since I was a little kid) and is still in it. He is in his late '60s, but has a TV, computer, smart phone, etc.

It's just weird watching this go on, adopting things that were verboten a half-century ago -- as some of the Amish also do.

As I see it, these are all technical things that have nothing to do with one's character -- which is much more important to have. I don't think there's anything in the Bible about rejecting things that make everyday life easier -- like well pumps, flush toilets, showers, refrigerators, etc.

Having said that, I do have a lot of respect for the Amish, as did my dad, although I'm sure he privately disagreed with their Biblical beliefs. The church I grew up in was "exclusive" (as I mentioned in my previous post) -- they thought anyone not in their ranks was going to Hell.

Just my view from the inside looking out. There were a lot of good things about growing up that way, especially as I grew older I realized it. But not everything was good.

In another thread I mentioned how great my family is, we all love getting together and always have a great time -- as we will this Sunday also. This mindset among us was set in place by our parents, I guess, it just seems normal to me. I cannot grasp the idea of dreading family gatherings -- as many families do.

Oh well, back to the tits and ass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Man woman.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	99033

Oops, wrong pik.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post: