Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 10,314 Times in 4,342 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
Amish are an oddity.

I never understood their time stall. Buttons are ok, but not zippers. Ok then why did you allow the advance to buttons? At one time that was modern. They went to a point and stopped. They where eyeglasses. So they are ok with enhancing their eyesight with an invention like eyeglasses, but I'll bet they don't wear contact lenses. They can have wooden floors as a step above dirt floors, but no carpet? Tile? They can USE modern tools, but can't OWN any.
None of it is logical.

Here's how I see it: A number of religions, the Amish among them, take the technology and cultural norms at the time of the religion's founding* and hang on to them as long as they can. Why? -- I don't know, and I don't think there's anything in the Bible about doing that.

And the various denominations have their rituals and legalisms, and those who practice "exclusivity" believe that only THEIR members will be the only ones going to Heaven. My family was like that, and ever since I was a kid I thought that was ridiculous. It's probably why I remain a devout agnostic and will likely die like that.

* Of course, most Christian denominations claim that their founders can be traced back to Jesus' followers/disciples/whatever they are called.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote