Old 03-13-2024, 6:37pm   #38
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 98.1%

Thanked 10,444 Times in 4,417 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouCountry View Post
Worked until I was 25. After that, I was fortunate enough to get into a field I enjoyed; and it paid rather well after I mastered a few skills. The only reason I retired early from my IT career was to be close to my family who were deeply rooted in Louisiana (daughter met my SIL in the army). I haven’t looked back after relocating from beautiful Lake Tahoe to rural Louisiana. I’m now enjoying my new life with my grandkids and new friends.

I remember working about an hour after I clocked out to learn how to print graphs on the plotter. Hell, it was like playing with a toy! I knew right then what I wanted to do. Playing with computers and programming was a dream come true. Who would pay someone that much to play with toys?

The advice I give younger people is find a job you like and the money comes later. It’s a shame my daughter and her husband don’t enjoy their jobs like I did, but it’s hard for them to quit and maybe the high life makes up for it. I’m just a simple man who enjoys friends and family.

Well, I could go on and on, but it’s time for another bourbon as I enjoy retirement on the river. Bourbon trail adventure coming up next. Never a dull moment when you’re with family and friends.

Should you retire? Maybe, maybe not.
Ha, a plotter. I haven't heard that term in years. It kinda came and went like video tapes did.

I bought a used one sometime in the mid-90s. I was doing most of my (injection mold) designing then on a cheap CAD program, trying to progress past the drafting board. I got it mostly figured out on CAD, but I always had trouble getting the plotter to work correctly. For me, there was no substitute for size D or E blueprints.

All of that stuff was very difficult to learn when there is nobody else around to ask questions.

By the early 2000's I was working directly with emailed CAD files from customers so I took the plotter to the dumps. Around 2006 I upgraded my CAM program to solids which made everything (including designing) easier. No more need for blueprints
Bruze is offline   Reply With Quote