Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 10,337 Times in 4,357 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin68 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

It is a common myth in the United States that DST was first implemented for the benefit of farmers.[36][37][38] In reality, farmers have been one of the strongest lobbying groups against DST since it was first implemented.[36][37][38] The factors that influence farming schedules, such as morning dew and dairy cattle's readiness to be milked, are ultimately dictated by the sun, so the clock change introduces unnecessary challenges.[36][38][39]

DST was first implemented in the US with the Standard Time Act of 1918, a wartime measure for seven months during World War I in the interest of adding more daylight hours to conserve energy resources.[40][39]
As we know, Wiki is written and controlled by leftist radicals. My comment was only what my parents had told me. Unlike most people today, I have some retained knowledge (that may be right or wrong) that was learned long before the internets so I don't necessarily have to Google everything.

Having said that, I would challenge their idea that daylight has anything to do with when cows need to be milked (at least in the 1950s and '60s. Maybe everything has changed now).

They need to be milked about every 12 hours, especially * "fresh" ones. In December it would be dark during the morning milking, and getting dark soon after the 4 PM milkings began. In the summer, it would be light throughout both milkings.

* A "fresh" cow is one that has recently given birth and therefore has a lot of milk.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote