Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 93.9%

Thanked 34,048 Times in 13,803 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangkiller View Post
The issue with the pipe wrap. It has to be evenly spaced and cannot cross over itself. Given how small the spigot is that's sticking out of the wall, I don't have much pipe to wrap (nor do I really want to wrap and un-wrap just to get access to the spigot), so I think I'd have to install it on the inside of a box/insulation in order to get enough heat tape inside the insulated area, not to mention I believe 6' is the shortest run of the wrap you can use, so I'd have to have a box big enough to consume 6' of evenly spaced heat tape.

I like that bird bath idea, I think i'll give it a try.
I'm not sure where you heard that. Mine crosses over. The diagram/instructions show it criss-crossing a shutoff valve.

Also, it shuts off at 50 degrees so it should never heat beyond that.

The length I bought was three feet of heated portion and a 24 inch lead.

It can be wrapped so you can still use the faucet. The main thing is to have the thermostat ( I think it's a klixon myself) touching the cold surface. The rest could hang free. It will heat, but only until the thermostat sees 50.

One wrap around and the rest balled up under the foam cup/cover until you need to run water. Pull off the cover and let the heat strip hang while using the hose.
Attached Images

Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post: