View Single Post
Old 01-13-2024, 12:39pm   #7
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09CTSV View Post
After this week of nasty snowy, cold, windy slushy weather the Hummer is holding up great. For those who complain about EV's, this thing only lost about 2% at the most in range. I have been averaging 1.7 miles per KW and haven't seen much if any degradation with the cold on the range.
The Hummer is a Beast in the snow. Amazing how good it drives and plows thru the snow.
The Hummer has some advantage in cold weather compared to other EV's. GM decided that they didn't want to make the vehicle more efficient, so they achieved the amazing range (for a vehicle of that size and weight) by slapping a 220 kwh battery into it (more than twice what I have in my Model X Plaid).
The better the efficiency of an EV, the higher the impact of accessory use.
If the heater pulls 4 kw in a Model X, it's reduces the range twice as much in a Model X than in a Hummer EV even if their HVAC consumes the same energy.
No matter if it's AC or Heat or any other accessory, accessory use affects the more efficient vehicles more than the less efficient ones.
Tesla and Lucid focus on making vehicles as efficient as possible, requiring a smaller battery to get a longer range. However, the down side is that accessory use will have a higher impact. There is only so much you can do to improve HVAC efficiency.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote