Old 10-16-2023, 9:04am   #31
bsmith
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 13.2%

Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,100 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002313

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
@aerovette had to have his engine rebuilt due to the cylinder deactivation crap, and I have a friend with a Dodge truck that had to have his Hemi rebuilt for the exact same reason. If I was to buy another truck, at this point, I'd seriously consider a diesel just to avoid a blown engine in the future. The problem is, you're spending quite a bit more money up front, and at every fuel up.

You'd think at some point the manufacturers would simply admit defeat and stop building ticking time bombs and go back to what works. Same thing with direct injection. Great for squeezing out a bit more mileage, not so great for longevity. And our own government is practically forcing the manufacturers to seek out and put this engine killing tech in their products with unrealistic CAFE requirements.

At least give customers the choice.....have the engine plant build some of the engines without AFM. I'm betting if there was a choice, no one would be buying the AFM trucks, and they would stop selling them, as it was a very unpopular option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsgarage View Post
Never buy the base engine when a larger one is available.
Fun fact, Even if you have a truck without AFM/DFM, you still get the shitty lifter design that can fail.
anecdotal evidence says that failures are less common, but do happen.

I specifically bought one without it, not knowing that is can still happen.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsmith For This Useful Post: