Old 08-28-2023, 7:18am   #19
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 10,443 Times in 4,416 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
We hit a sink hole in a new Blazer long ago.. Wasn't fun at all. Luckily a farmer was plowing down the street. After a couple of attempts with his current tractor he went and got the biggin.. 8 tires. He lifted frt wheels of it off the ground just as it broke the truck free. Bent the frame end as couldn't get a straight pull. I had more ticks than a sheep on me when got home. Two days of cleaning that truck sucked.
The Blazer had been having electrical issues and we were just turning around to go home when it sank.
I've seen guys destroy a truck trying to power out of mud. When I get stuck I stop and pull it out.
Although Watkins Glen is only 50 or so miles away, I've only been there (to the track) once, for the Can-Am in June 1972 with the wife and another couple. All our drinking friends told us endless stories of that place, the wildest was the Grand Prix in October if I recall. Earlier races were more tame.

But the Can-Am was wild enough. Any of you old guys who've been there back then will know what I'm talking about when I mention "the bog."

It was a big mudhole and people would drive busses, Cadillacs, you name it into it, just to see how far they could get. When they got stuck they would just abandon them then. I'm assuming someone pulled them out at some point.

Nobody was sober; it was just a yooge party from Friday night til Sunday, when we finally watched the cars.

I heard stories from friends back then that during the Grand Prix when people were driving down the main entry/exit roads they would be lined on both sides by drunken and whatever guys with sticks, 2 x 4s, whatever, and they would pound the cars trying to get through.

As I recall, they closed the track for several years (new owners?) and stopped the insanity, and maybe filled in the bog too.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post: