View Single Post
Old 08-09-2023, 1:41pm   #42
erickpl
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $111433

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
i spend roughly $500/mo on diesel. Was looking at the mini cooper ev for daily commute wich is 80 miles round trip. just going over the basics and a payment, insurance, and extended warranty would be much less than my fuel expenses. charging wouldn't be much either.

Little brother has one and loves it.
Our EV gets about 250 realistically on a charge (they say it is 275), but I never let the charge get THAT low when on a long drive. LOL When it is very cold or very hot, we have the option of our truck - which we use when we take the travel trailer out. Saves a LOT in gas costs since we now use the EV for all intown trips and short drives where we won't need to use a fast charger. I used to fill the truck weekly. Now I fill it MAYBE once a month.

Around town, we are VERY happy with the EV. But we have driven it to northwest Missouri (that was FUUUUN charging in Boone, MO on I-70 to go to Chilicothe and back last July!) and generally have no issues as there are chargers on our route (Columbia and St. Peters MO, Mt. Vernon IL, Paducah KY, Clarksville and Franklin TN) so we have charging options.

If you are looking for an EV around town, the Mini is fun option. Keep us up to date if you do that.

While I do own an EV, I'll also readily admit that they are not for everybody or for all situations. A LOT needs to be done with battery tech, capacity, recycling, range, and charging infrastructure before it becomes universal. I don't know if it will get there. BUT, it is nice to have options in what we drive. EV's do help reduce the use of gas/oil and don't pollute when in use.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to erickpl For This Useful Post: