Old 07-06-2023, 9:56am   #41
Taurus
A Real Barner
Activity: 61.6%

Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,836 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
Having a job that one doesn't particularly care for, or even hates and can't wait to get out of, is different than being self-employed in your backyard.

I loved what I did (moldmaker) and told everybody I would keep working until I couldn't. I started taking SS in 2013 so I didn't have to kill myself like I did before, so working just helped fill in the day.

Then came April 2021 and I woke up on Monday with severe sharp pains in my right hand, wrist, and shoulder. It got worse as the weeks went on, spread to my left side and I got dull aches in my legs, and that was it for me. The docs said it was arthritis but I don't buy that and I don't think they really know.

By late summer of 2021 the pain was starting to slowly fade. I could actually do things without stabbing pains. Since then I am probably 95% good.

If was tough mentally to give up my business, which I had since 1985 -- it was my life, was never a "job." But now, looking at 73 next month, I have zero interest in working.
I think having a job you love is a great reason to keep working. I loved what I did, I was a VP in the automotive aftermarket responsible for all our company owned auto parts locations coast to coast. However, things change and my base locations here in Utah were sold off and I was going to need to travel two or three weeks a month and I'm just done with being a road warrior. Living at airports and in hotels just doesn't work for me anymore. The owners of the company were very understanding and we're still close so my retirement didn't ruin the relationship.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post: