Old 07-06-2023, 6:52am   #25
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 10,330 Times in 4,352 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqaholic View Post
Approaching 70 here and things have definitely changed. Didn't insure the bike this Summer. Rode last year and it seemed clumsy at stop signs. Even getting my leg up over the seat is no longer an easy task. Suppose my two wheeling days are done unless I switch over to a moped, and that's not likely
I sold my Harley at age 65 (rode since I was 19) not for your reasons, but because it just got too creepy.

I stayed alive all those years by ASSUMING at every stoplight, stop sign, etc. someone would pull out in front of me, or that someone pulling out of their driveway would not see me. My hand was ready to yank the brake in a second. You have to be a 100% defensive driver.

One thing I did is I would watch the front wheel of the suspect car. If it was rotating ever so slightly I would assume they didn't see me and I would honk or flick the lights. If it was completely stationary and the driver appeared to be making eye contact I felt pretty comfortable.

I had major neck surgery (bone spurs) at 61, and gradually started to realize that even a minor 5-10 MPH collision in a parking lot with the motorcycle could turn me into a quadriplegic.

I'd had my C6 for a year then, and was kinda liking the no wind, no bees in my helmet, climate control, being comfortable at 30° or 90°, and the ability to carry groceries and a lot of other stuff.

Oh well. "Time changes everything."

"The man who views the world at fifty the same as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote