Old 07-05-2023, 9:51pm   #5
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,413 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
So I'm 65, retired going on 2 years now, still in pretty good shape and very active. I maintain a pretty healthy weight which is the lowest I've been in 30 years, have no major medical issues other than well controlled type 2 diabetes, a new knee and over all feel like I'm doing pretty well but lately I can feel my age may be catching up to me.

For instance, I cycle a lot, at least 10 miles a day year round and still enjoy it considerably. On my daily ride there is one grade that is about a mile long that I have always prided myself how well I climb it. Always in my highest gear and able to maintain my target heart rate and respiration goals. And then yesterday as I was pulling the hill I look over my left shoulder in time to see a 20 something girl pass me like nobodies business. (before you guys ask I don't have pictures of said girl). I absolutely could not keep up with her.

I also find that working my yard feels more of a challenge and takes longer to recover from at 65. I cut my almost half an acre with a push mower for the exercise and lately it takes more out of me.

For those in a similar age group, when did you feel your age gaining on you have you?
It was gradual, but I've noticed getting winded at things that never would wind me before (will be 73 next month).

However, I walk 2.5 miles every other day, some slight hills, and that hasn't slowed me down. It's things that I don't do regularly that get me panting.

I don't have the physical strength I once had, and buddies complain about that too, and I remember my late father complaining about that also.

Another thing I've noticed in recent years is I've gotten very lazy. There's a lot of things I can still do physically, but I don't feel like it most times so I sit around instead. I'm mentally lazy, was never like that in my life. I care less and less about some things, maybe that's to be expected.

One of my lunch buddies will be 89 in November, doesn't use a cane or anything although he gets up very slow. He's a tall guy and weighed around 225 I think most of his life. He is down to 179 now and cannot gain anything back.

A lot of people, animals too, lose muscle mass towards the end of life; my dad was very thin too as he got 80+. I told my buddy that and he laughed, but I think he realizes it. Doc isn't much help, he probably doesn't want to tell him what I told him.

It is what it is.

Life is fun, you lose your virginity, get old enough to drink, and before you know it you start going downhill and you can see the end.
Bruze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post: