NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 41,995 Times in 17,490 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB4TL View Post
He charged at police with a knife.
What more do you need to know?

It's weird that every day police smile & wave at me.
Is it because I'm white? No! It's because I'm not breaking laws & smile & wave at them.

It's simple....respect goes both ways.
That's because they haven't cut you from the herd, singled you out as prey. Cops have a different mindset when they do that. They've singled you out. They're nervous, and if there is more than one, they're more like pack animals on the hunt, waiting for you to make a wrong move, to slip up. At the end of the day, job one, the mission, is for them to go home safe, and you are a threat to that, and they're going to treat you as such. You may have had encounters with cops pulling you over for speeding that you were able to calm down by being both rational and submissive. That's different than the police were called ON you. Say I call and report you are tearing up your apartment and I want the police to stop you. You're going to get a whole different response, especially if you don't present as rational and submissive.

And if you can't or won't deescalate things, don't expect the cops to do it. In this case, it's a big dude who objectively is a few French fries short of a Happy Meal. That actually IS objectively a dangerous situation they've injected themselves into, especially after they went inside and there's no longer a door separating the cops from the guy having the breakdown.

I really don't know what the solution is, other than maybe bringing in a marksman with a tranquilizer gun to dart the guy with something that will knock him out quickly. Even then, if the guy's on drugs, how will the tranquilizer mix with that. People die from getting tased, too.

The whole thing just seems fraught with peril for everyone involved.

Edit: The key facts here are, apparent mental illness and, dude is inside his own apartment, spazzing out.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote