Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 1.3%

Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,243 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie Detroit View Post
How were you able to compile this list if he’s uses a VPN to hide his true ID?
IP address is only one (of many) identifiers of someone. It "can" be useful info sometimes, but just as often, it's irrelevant and not useful at all.

The thing about VPN use, is you must use it 100% of the time, otherwise sooner or later, your actual ISP address does become revealed. Forums not only log your IP address when you register, but every single post you make also logs an IP address. So if a user fails to connect to their VPN just once and makes a post, then I have their actual IP logged and it becomes useful data. Over the course of weeks/months/years, this tends to happen to even the most diligent of VPN users.

10+ years ago, VPN use was quite rare. This subject wasn't savvy enough to hide his IP back then, and would typically rejoin this site when traveling, so as not to become detected. But he'd continue posting once back home, and then a positive IP match would be made.
So next time he rejoins this site (and he most certainly will), he will sneak in by virtue of using a VPN, and may go undetected for a while. But will eventually become complacent and post from his home IP.

Beyond IP address, there's other means of ID'ing someone, and those I'm not going to share publicly, as it would only be a road map for those trying to sidestep a ban (or in this case, a dozen bans).

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post: