View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 5:56pm   #19
theandies
A Real Barner
Activity: 15.8%

Thanked 1,311 Times in 540 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

My brother gave me his old Troy Built 5550 Watt (8550 starting watt) gas gen for free. He bought a new one because 1st - he lives in hurricane country and B - the pull starter spring broke and he's not a mechanic.

I removed the rivets that held the pull starter and bolted a new one on. It hadn't run for years so I took the carb apart and cleaned it.
Works like a champ. Now I dare the power to go out LoL.

I've used it once after a microburst knocked out power for almost a day which is the longest we've ever been without power since living where we do for over 20 years. It ran like a champ and can run on gas non-stop for 18 to 20 hours. My neighbor and I were the only ones who had gens. I felt like I had to stay up and guard it as who knows who would go crazy in these situations.
I kept our fridge on. Turned on the internet for entertainment and ran a few lights for everyone.

I should look into converting it to multi-fuel. Seems like a good idea.

I'm sort of a mini-prepper. I have 25 year shelf life 30 day food supply for 4 people stashed in the basement. I keep at least 3 tanks of propane for the grill etc. if needed during emergencies. Flashlights (even one that doesn't need batteries) plasma lighters and water proof matches in a water proof box along with a bunch of other "prepper" stuff.
You can never be too prepared.
theandies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theandies For This Useful Post: