View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 5:55pm   #18
SJW
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Ugh - I'm also on a Thunderbird forum (because of my 2002 TBird) but I've wound helping up people on the older car forum section. Haven't been around the 55-57 birds that much but I still know a lot more than many there. I just walked through an exercise on how to bleed old drum brakes with one owner - and he's no kid either. He changed out the master cylinder and only bled the rear brakes because the bleeders were hard to reach on the front and wondered why he had a spongy pedal. Another guy ran his 55 bird dry of fuel and wonders why it won't stay running now (sucked up rust, grit, etc from the bottom of the tank) and I'm taking him through correcting that issue.

Gads - these cars may be all off the road and in museums in a decade or less.
It seems as though so many of them already are museum artifacts, for all intents and purposes. The vast majority of owners of vintage vehicles that I know seldom drive what they own. And many never drive them at all.

But, to your point, I think more and more of these will end up being resto-modded as the years roll on, and fewer people remain who have the knowledge, or the desire, to maintain these old cars mechanically.

Live well,

SJW
SJW is offline   Reply With Quote