Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,528 Times in 2,644 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default I was wrong this time

Initially reported locally:

Quote:
A van plowed into a crowd of runners Thursday night at the start of The Bear race in Linville, North Carolina Highway Patrol troopers said.

A female runner was confirmed dead and three others were seriously hurt in the accident.

According to reports, the van suddenly accelerated and hit other runners before also striking a Gator 4×4 vehicle. Reports have also indicated that the van’s driver was not trying to intentionally run into anyone or any other vehicles as there apparently was a mechanical error that caused the van to quickly accelerate when it should not have.
source

I called bullshit on "mechanical error", and was correct. The thought that I got wrong was that the driver was a Floriduh man...

A more recent update:

Quote:
LINVILLE, N.C. (WGHP) — One woman has died and additional four people were injured after a fatal collision before a race at Grandfather Mountain on Thursday night.

Participants in the race and spectators were in the area as part of the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games. Thursday’s event was “The Bear,” a five-mile footrace that leads to the top of Grandfather Mountain.

James Russell Deni, 80, of Boone, was driving a Ford van when he attempted to leave a parked position and accelerated into a group of pedestrians. After striking the pedestrians, the van struck a John Deere Gator utility vehicle before coming to a stop.
source

It is unknow if Deni routinely spends winters in Floriduh...
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote