Old 03-28-2022, 9:32pm   #87
MikeB
Barn Stall Owner #115
Activity: 14.8%

Thanked 5,076 Times in 2,295 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $610854

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Back in the early 80s I did my first tranny. I thought it would be easy. Right amount of lube, line up the shaft, and BOOM...IN ! I was wrong. It put up quite a fight. The shaft on that tranny was loooooong. I mean LONG. I thought, "this thing will NEVER fit. I jacked it a bit; nope, not going in. I jacked some more, and even though it was lined up and lubed, it was not going in. Finally I jacked it a few more times and at last, it was in. Now I was reaching around for the nuts. I knew they were there, but I was at the end of the shaft and the nuts were too far to reach. I ended up repositioning myself and I could just graze them with my fingers. I reached a little further and had the nuts in my hands now. I knew that tranny was not going to stay in unless I could reach those nuts. I remember getting lube all over the place. What a mess.

I did manage to get the tranny's picture.

Yeah, brings back memories back around 1970.

Had my tool on the nut, pushed down as hard as I could, tool slipped, and my tool cracked me on the bridge of my nose and broke it! Man, that hurt. True story.
Bell housing nut stripped. Was replacing clutch I burnt up at the drag strip, on the then girlfriend's car (now SO). Blasted my nose with a 5/8" box wrench when the bolt rounded off (I was laying underneath the car pulling the wrench down)
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote