Old 01-08-2021, 6:00pm   #11
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 44.6%

Thanked 7,225 Times in 3,200 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
my investments don't call me at 2am with no hot water.
Exactly. One of the reasons why I am ready to leave that kind of self-employment. I've been doing the landlord thing for 15 years. It paid a lot of bills, and padded the kids' college savings accounts, so I have no regrets. But it really isn't doing much for me now that I can't do with some other way that doesn't involve me essentially being a slave to a bunch of whiners who are renting because they don't have the where with all to get off their ass and do something for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
When you retire, make sure to tell your boss to go **** himself
I've always said, the downside of self-employment is that I have an asshole for a boss. If I'm sick, or hurt, or just plain exhausted, he doesn't care. I tell him to **** off hoping I'll get fired, and he doesn't care about that either. No win situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
MY hard earned advice/opinion is NEVER take in any business partners.....it worked fine for my Dad, back when, even in the Wash DC region.....but that is all 80 years ago, ending in '86 or so his experience was fine......even when not paying off some CONNgress person......the few rentals I had over the years were not an issue.....never had a problem.....course I fixed houses for a living so........
My only business partner is my wife. We met when we were teenagers, so I'm pretty sure we'll be taking it long-term. Between the two rentals and the house where I live, yeah, I feel like I have been fixing houses for a living for the last 5 years. Getting rid of the property last year really opened my eyes to how much time I spend keeping up with the bullshit associated with 100 year old buildings, and I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecornerman View Post
Retirement?
We can retire?
F-K, I spent my life savings trying to keep the grand kids from going into a foster home.
Anyone got some cardboard so I can make a "need food sign"
Sorry to hear that. I don't have any grandchildren yet, and at least so far, the kids are fully independent, so I can focus on me and the wife at this time. I am aware that this can change in an instant.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote