Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 17.1%

Thanked 33,306 Times in 14,226 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

i haven't made too much this year, in part due to the cost of lumber (almost doubled) and now I can't find sanding discs for my random orbital sander. WTF? who is hoarding sand paper?

i don't hand out my work like candy, i have to somewhat like you before i'll give you something i've made.

last year, in August, our range organized and ran a large pistol match, and I helped out with the match, shot it, placed mid-pack, and then hung out for the random prize give away. they pick out a prize, draw a name, and boom, someone gets something. so i had taken a bunch of 1x2 scraps, glued them up, and made a bowl that got given away.

as i'm sitting there, watching others get prizes, a shooting buddy of mine, knowing that I had made the bowl that had just been given to someone, suggested that I should make a bowl out of walnut. he mentioned turkish walnut. not a term i know well, but i think it's similar to Claro Walnut.

full of colors and swirls, real pretty stuff.

so i tuck that away for later reference, but i do mention to him that walnut is not cheap, and for a good sized bowl, just the lumber will run about $50.

oh.

so in January of this year, i see a sale online from Cook Woods in Oregon, and they have some Claro walnut bowl blanks for $5 each. boom. i order several.

come spring, i turn one and eventually meet up with my shooting buddy at the range, and remind him of our conversation from last year. oh yeah..... and give him a bowl. he looks at it, says nice things, and then goes back to shooting the club match that was going on then.

only when he gets home, and has a chance to see the bowl in sunlight, does he see all the colors and swirls, and sends me a note "this thing is bad ass!!"

so the bowl i just sent Raazor is from the same batch of bowl blanks that i got in January. I think i have 2 or 3 left, for another day.

DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post: