View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 10:28pm   #223
TripleBlack
Barn Raising I
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 2,060 Times in 876 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $308343

A year ago this week I had a chance to experience a total solar eclipse. Epic experience. Watching a Sci Channel (I know.... much trash on it but this isn't bad) documentary right now about how scientists studied the corona during the eclipse. Though the surface of the sun is ~6000 degrees, the corona is 1,000,000 degrees and is present all the time but can only be seen during a total eclipse. Scientists are trying to figure out why - or maybe they have.. watching the program. :-)

We were almost rained and clouded out but managed to get a few shots. Just an amazing experience. My photos were soft on focus; negligence on my part - had the right equipment but we thought we were rained out so didn't set up until clouds broke after the eclipse had actually started. I set up but in the excitement didn't get focus perfect.

Hey, the one due in 2024 goes right over my house... hope to see it.

This view is called the "diamond ring". It occurs just before and just after totality. Just to the right of the "diamond ring" are two or three small bright spots know as Baily's Beads and the red fringe (sorry, slightly out of focus) is know as the prominence. the prominence is more visible just after the diamond ring disappears and just for it reappears at the end of totality.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond Ring1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	778.6 KB
ID:	18009
TripleBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TripleBlack For This Useful Post: