View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 1:32am   #38
NeedSpeed
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 5,579 Times in 2,856 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1553643

Quote:
What looks like a church, acts like a church but isn’t a church? A congregation of spiritual humanists.
i.e. Church.

Quote:
My daughters have also attended Sunday School at WES and (like most parents there) my partner and I have taught our kids and others in class
Ah, choose Sunday to differentiate from religion, good job.

Quote:
But God wormed his way into my children’s lives anyway.
Because you choose to parallel everything you do with religious practices, minus god. So they're not left out.

Quote:
where my kids have been required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag every day, a ritual I find nauseating both for its nationalism and its invocation of God.
Where do they still do this? I had to check the article date, it stopped when I was growing up and I'm 40.

Quote:
Instead of Valentine’s Day, we have Pay Attention to Love Day.
Mimic religion, sort of, can't mess with a commercial holiday.

Quote:
We hold a humanist seder at Passover and celebrate Spring Festival in place of Easter.
Because the best way to teach you children there is no God is to have replacement holidays.

Quote:
“Stone Soup” is our Thanksgiving and Winter Festival is our end of year holiday.
Because a holiday that has nothing to do with God should be replaced as well.

Quote:
But God wormed his way into my children’s lives anyway.
Because you essentially created a religion, not a God-less lifestyle.

I believe in God, not religion. I was raised Catholic, but would never claim it. I believe in God because of many nights I stared at the stars and wondered how it all was possible. Read things about the "edge of the universe". Wrote a poem in high school called "There isn't nothing anywhere" based on the fact that our universe doesn't end. Or does it? What's past the end if it does? Nothing? Are we just a few lucky life forms among millions of planets that got lucky and evolved?

I have no problem with atheism. I myself think what if there is no God? What happens when I die?

Then I think, I don't know. Every night I go to sleep. Maybe 8 hours goes by. I'm unaware of those 8 hours, other than maybe a period of dream. I could never have waken up. Maybe that's death. No good. No bad. You just don't know. None of us could.

But this article, if I was atheist, would make me be embarrassed to be an atheist.
NeedSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NeedSpeed For This Useful Post: