View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 8:43am   #9
socalman
Barn Stall Owner #21
Activity: 1.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
Sounds like a bad unit, I have never had that issue with my old MAC Tool OBD1 reader.
is that the 2500 unit? I'm sending this unit back and looking into another. The Mac needs cartridges, don't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLRX View Post
My 92 was OBDI.

You turn the switch on but, do not start the engine.

I think code 12 was a default code, means nothing.
That's for code pulling. Scanners will show you 28 other live feed perameters for OBD 1 so you can see things like the voltage to MAP & 02 Sensors (no more guessing on what parts are causing problems). Also shows Left Bank/Right Bank info (perfect is 128) so you know if your running too rich or too lean on one side or the other. It worked good, for up to 140 seconds but crapped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze85 View Post
Never had that happen with my Snap on mt2500, but check out this post--kinda sounds like what you're describing? Auto XRAY 6000
Good stuff- thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette_Mike View Post
Auto x ray 6000 is I believe OBD 1 and 2. I have the x ray 5000. OBD1 does not capture any info like OBD2 does. The live moniter thing should work fine. If its not working correctly, shut down, restart and re insert start up info.

Mike
Ya Mike, I knew you had a 5000 unit. I guess the only difference between the 5000 and 6000 is the 6000 has a couple more detailed info for OBDII. If i can find another 5000, should give me everything I want. My live monitor is what kept crapping out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 View Post
OBD1 works with the engine OFF/ ignition ON. Reads codes only-no live stuff or monitoring. 12 is an "alive" code(normal function-system ready). If the engine is running, test results are all skewed. I just short the pins and pump for codes..

OBD2 uses engine ON and monitors live.
These units, as WW7 stated, do run live feed info-on many more perameters than just code related issues. For example, an 02 sensor might cause your car to run kinda crappy or slight miss, but not enough to set the code (02 should be running around 450 at cold idle and then live closed loop (warmed up) flunctuate between 300 and 500. One running at 350 cold and 200 hot might not set a code but cause the car to run crappy (numbers for example only).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW7 View Post
Wrong, My autoxray 6000 reads live on my 89 while the engine is running and also live while driving around,shows all sensors and readouts as they happen. Sounds like something is either not making a solid contact or the unit is bad..WW
That's what I thought. I was watching it change numbers as I was scrolling but before I could pull out of the driveway, it froze up.

I noticed that the numbers to the right (01, 02, 03 etc.) were blinking when on Live Monitor as you scrolled through, but then they quit blinking and froze back to the original start up scan. This is a fecked up unit then, right?
socalman is offline   Reply With Quote