Barn Stall Owner #54
Barn Raising II,III

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 7,018 Times in 2,660 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6027980

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
So basically they would weld and grind the flat spots to get it back to the shop for a correct repair?

I can imagine the damage having a sharp edge "whacking" the rails on every single revolution
Fastest on-the-road fix is a crane putting an "idler" axle in in place of the flatspotted one to get the whole kit and caboodle back to the shop for a full fix. I bet that axle is effed. I think I have a pic of the "after" of a similar incident on my work desktop - I'll look tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtelvr View Post
Damn...lots of money wasted for sure.

Loco, can you tell me why when they stack engines in the front or rear, why do they not orient them the same direction? Some you see nose to ass, some are nose to nose, etc. Just curious why they don't just like them all up the same direction. The only conclusion I can reach is the fact that there isn't a "rail yard U-turn" to turn one facing opposite around....
Usually they will arrange them willy-nilly within a group of locomotives (they work equally well in either direction) but the end units will have the "short hood" end facing out to improve visibility - The end units will have the cab part facing the head and the tail of the group so the engineer can see without looking past the whole carbody no matter which way the whole group is moving.
Loco Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loco Vette For This Useful Post: