The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How many of you are self-employed? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63163)

lspencer534 02-19-2014 6:05pm

How many of you are self-employed?

I am. I've been practicing law for about 35 years, first as an associate in a two-member firm, then a partner, then as a solo practitioner when my partner retired. My daughter recently joined me, but she's my employee on a salary.

In all the years I've been self-employed, there's not been a month that I didn't wonder whether I'd make any money. I always have, but I still worry. As you know, all your clients/customers could leave you tomorrow...or today. Of course, there's taxes, equipment, supplies, salaries, mortgage/rent, etc. to pay every month, and there seems to be no way to bring their costs down.

Still, I could never work for womeone else...I'd probably get fired. How about you other business owners? Is it a love/hate relationship like mine? Or better or worse than that? BTW, what kind of business do you have? And if you're not self-employed, would you plan/like to be?

Sea Six 02-19-2014 6:07pm

It'll be sixteen years this May.

I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

MrPeabody 02-19-2014 6:14pm

I have been several times, although I never had any full time employees. Working on a car lot on commission only is similar to being self employed. Every day is what you make out of it.

The only thing negative I found about being self employed is it is almost impossible to go back to working for somebody else and be happy. I'm glad I'm retired, I'm too old and cranky to take orders from someone else. I have outgrown my tolerance for stupidity. If I ever work again it will be something on my own.

snide 02-19-2014 6:30pm

I've been self employed since 2004. I do contract work, and while my current contract is on a W2 basis, I consider myself to be self employed. Works great for me... As long as there is work, that is.

mrvette 02-19-2014 7:16pm

After ~20 years in electronics, I went into home remodeling and make more money than ever in the trades.....

BUT that means being in your own business.....

shut down one business up north and opened up yet again down here in Florida....it's been good to me.....

but of course at pushing age 70, it's getting time to rest my hammer....

:leaving::dance:

LATB 02-19-2014 7:22pm

I was self employed most of my life

This changed 10 months ago. And I agree w/ Peabody...but I got kinda lucky, and have a gig with an awesome and brilliant man. It also doesn't hurt that he's capital R rich.

We are talking, I'm selling my million dollar yacht an having a custom 5 million dollar yacht built...rich. :hurray:

Blademaker 02-19-2014 7:22pm

When I had my business, it was a huge love/hate relationship.
In a big way.

I just thought I had retired. :D

MrPeabody 02-19-2014 7:25pm

On the flip side, owning your own business has it's difficulties. It's very difficult to call in sick or quit, for instance.:D

Sea Six 02-19-2014 7:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach (Post 1127103)
I was self employed most of my life

This changed 10 months ago. And I agree w/ Peabody...but I got kinda lucky, and have a gig with an awesome and brilliant man. It also doesn't hurt that he's capital R rich.

We are talking, I'm selling my million dollar yacht an having a custom 5 million dollar yacht built...rich. :hurray:

What are you doing now?

simpleman68 02-19-2014 7:30pm

Haven't had a boss for almost 20 years. Not sure I could work for somebody else unless we had a solid, mutual partnership.
The stress is worth it for me.
Scott

LATB 02-19-2014 7:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1127111)
What are you doing now?

Project Management - Construction Management

Fancy words for a builder on salary with bennies and perks. :seasix:

DAB 02-19-2014 7:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach (Post 1127118)

1: dig hole
2: something happens
3: profit !!

simpleman68 02-19-2014 7:44pm

Forgot to list what I do.
Primary company is a brokerage that represents specialty/natural foods to distributors and chain retailers on the East Coast.

2nd gig on the side is rental properties and construction. Residential for now but we're looking at our first commercial lot. Small for starters.

3rd gig is export of US goods to Shanghai.

Apparently I like to keep busy. :needcoffee:
Scott

mrvette 02-19-2014 7:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1127120)
1: dig hole
2: something happens
3: profit !!

:seasix: BUT I never dug a hole, only ONE time and that I subbed out...gimme a slab/foundation....

:seasix:

Sea Six 02-19-2014 7:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach (Post 1127118)

Nice! Congratulations.

LATB 02-19-2014 8:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligan (Post 1127127)
:seasix: BUT I never dug a hole, only ONE time and that I subbed out...gimme a slab/foundation....

:seasix:

I'm putting one together currently.

We will pour...I mean place :spdchk: concrete in the AM

Kerrmudgeon 02-19-2014 8:33pm

Retired now, but haven't had a boss since '81. I don't know if I could ever work for anyone else again. Too many asshole bosses when I was young. :slap: :D

lspencer534 02-19-2014 8:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach (Post 1127149)
I'm putting one together currently.

We will pour...I mean place :spdchk: concrete in the AM

I'm with you: I have never heard pouring concrete called anything but that, and I worked for a ready-mix company in law school. I was a concrete and steel technician, meaning that I had to inspect concrete and steel for strenght.

Don't get me started on the number of buildings I saw that couldn't even pass a 2,000 psi concrete strength test, even on high-rises.

Sneaks 02-19-2014 8:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1127125)

3rd gig is export of US goods to Shanghai.

Apparently I like to keep busy. :needcoffee:
Scott

Exporting meth? :leaving:

lspencer534 02-19-2014 8:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 1127162)
Exporting meth? :leaving:

Meth is too expensive to sell in Shanghai. Try recycled motor oil and Sudafed.