The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   So...my racing has helped my neighbor. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46319)

Datawiz 01-20-2013 8:12pm

So...my racing has helped my neighbor.

Racing has forced me to learn to wrench on my car. I recently replaced both rear bearing/hub assemblies in my Z06, along with the rotors and Carbotech pads for good measure.

My neighbor has an '05 C6 which looks the same as my '06. He's been complaining about clunks and grinding out of the rear for awhile.

I told him to come on over (took both Saturday and Sunday), and we flushed the differential and tightened the axle nuts. After day 1 he was thrilled, the noises went away. Except for the same hum, albeit much less than my Z06, in his right rear.

Today we replaced both bearing/hub assemblies in the rear. Now, everything is 100%. FWIW, he's got 90K miles on his '05.

This coming from a n00b. Racing has forced me to learn my trade. I was tickled to be able to apply my skills and help out a neighbor. :hurray:

Naturally, he was appreciative. I suspect something nice will come from this. I told him I could care less. I just think this is fun and it makes me better at what I need to do to support my race car.

DAB 01-20-2013 8:13pm

Hmmm, thought this was going to be about trimming bushes.

JRD77VET 01-20-2013 8:13pm

Great to hear you're sharing your knowledge Craig :cert:

Loco Vette 01-20-2013 8:15pm

Pics of neighbor's wife? :D

Datawiz 01-20-2013 8:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 865354)
Great to hear you're sharing your knowledge Craig :cert:

Helping out a fellow Corvette owner is reward enough. I am so loving learning everything I need to know. My next step is to learn how to tear down the motor and rebuild. For now, this is beyond my pay grade. I know it's coming. As easy as the Corvette is proving to be for wrenching, I welcome it. I can't wait to learn.

FWIW, Marcus continues to be a nice resource. :yesnod:

Datawiz 01-20-2013 8:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 865357)
Pics of neighbor's wife? :D

She's cute, blonde, and older than both of us by about 10 years. Likely not your type.

GRN ENVY 01-20-2013 8:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 865358)
Helping out a fellow Corvette owner is reward enough. I am so loving learning everything I need to know. My next step is to learn how to tear down the motor and rebuild. For now, this is beyond my pay grade. I know it's coming. As easy as the Corvette is proving to be for wrenching, I welcome it. I can't wait to learn.

FWIW, Marcus continues to be a nice resource. :yesnod:

Glad I can continue to help, you teach me how to drive faster, and I teach you how to fix the cars. Seems to be a good duo :cert:

Kerrmudgeon 01-20-2013 8:30pm

Did your crew chief daughter lend a hand?

Datawiz 01-20-2013 8:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 865376)
Did your crew chief daughter lend a hand?

She was relegated to picking weeds with her mother. She desperately wanted to be wrenching. :yesnod: She certainly has more automotive smarts than my neighbor. :lol: She wants nothing more than to be smeared with grease, all over her face, while under a car. It's pretty comical actually. Beautiful, smart, fit little girl who wants nothing more than to get dirty fixing cars. :hurray:

Jeff '79 01-20-2013 8:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN ENVY (Post 865371)
Glad I can continue to help, you teach me how to drive faster, and I teach you how to fix the cars. Seems to be a good duo :cert:

Sounds like a racing team is being born......:drivingskid:

GRN ENVY 01-20-2013 9:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 865398)
Sounds like a racing team is being born......:drivingskid:

Now if we can only get paid for it :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Steve Austin 01-20-2013 9:05pm

Thats $$$ in the karma bank. :seasix::seasix:

Jeff '79 01-20-2013 9:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN ENVY (Post 865400)
Now if we can only get paid for it :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ya, you know that Estero Chevrolet is cutting you a big fat check every week..:D

GRN ENVY 01-20-2013 9:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 865406)
Ya, you know that Estero Chevrolet is cutting you a big fat check every week..:D

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

VatorMan 01-20-2013 9:47pm

I know what you mean. Now you just need a lift. :lol:

I spent my Sunday rebuilding calipers. I finally got around to rebuilding my stock calipers and will be replacing my race caliper pistons with stainless steel. Hopefully this will reduce brake fade because of burning fluid.:hurray:

Loco Vette 01-20-2013 9:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN ENVY (Post 865371)

Get a room!

GRN ENVY 01-20-2013 9:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 865435)
Get a room!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

simpleman68 01-20-2013 10:01pm

Good stuff Craig! :cert:
Wish I lived closer to somebody else who likes to wrench on vehicles. I rebuilt my first motor in '83 and loved it.

I had a side business with another buddy working on cars to help fund college. About the only thing I'll outsource is a diff or tranny rebuild. Just haven't had the time in recent years. Got really busy rebuilding houses and learning electric, plumbing, trim work etc.

Scott

RED-85-Z51 01-20-2013 11:56pm

Nice that you got it fixed...but its sad that at just 90K miles it needs that kind of work done to it...

NEED-A-VETTE 01-21-2013 1:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 865382)
She was relegated to picking weeds with her mother. She desperately wanted to be wrenching. :yesnod: She certainly has more automotive smarts than my neighbor. :lol: She wants nothing more than to be smeared with grease, all over her face, while under a car. It's pretty comical actually. Beautiful, smart, fit little girl who wants nothing more than to get dirty fixing cars. :hurray:

Sounds like my dad when we were growing up. He had all daughters, so we were his assistants by default. :funny: He was an engineer for GM (retired now) who used to drag race for fun. Some of my earliest memories are of standing on a step ladder watching him wrench on his Chevelle. :)

He took it in stride. Wanna go to a hockey game? Take my daughters. Wanna toss around a football? Where's my girls? Need to swap out an exhaust? Let's get to it, ladies. That exhaust ain't gonna swap itself.

:lol:

The lessons you teach her now will stay with her for a lifetime...and will be even more appreciated once she's older. Plus, time spent together is something she'll always remember. :yesnod: