The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   A good Christian man (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42112)

Joecooool 10-22-2012 11:51am

A good Christian man

If more were like him, there would be less like me.

Giraffe (He/Him) 10-22-2012 12:08pm

Quote:

Why would you allow someone else to dictate how you conduct your life?

Joecooool 10-22-2012 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 792490)
Why would you allow someone else to dictate how you conduct your life?

Clearly I do not.

What I am saying is that if more of the self professed Christians lived their life as their savior intended - loving their neighbors, helping the poor, etc, instead of focusing on hate filled things like homophobic legislation (and Jesus never once mentioned homosexuality), then people like me wouldn't hold his followers with such disdain.

:cert:

Loco Vette 10-22-2012 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecooool (Post 792510)
What I am saying is that if more of the self professed Christians lived their life as their savior intended - loving their neighbors, helping the poor, etc, instead of focusing on hate filled things like homophobic legislation (and Jesus never once mentioned homosexuality), then people like me wouldn't hold his followers with such disdain.

:cert:

My gut reaction to this is that it is applied with a very broad brush. Any collection of people is going to have a distribution of opinions, and the means of these opinions are going to vary to the left or right as the overriding characteristics of the group apply. That notwithstanding, I find it doubtful that those whom you hold in disdain for their opinions are deeply concerned by that disdain.

RedLS1GTO 10-22-2012 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecooool (Post 792479)

So just to clarify... somehow in your little self righteous dream world, this is how you justify the absolutely asinine hatred, intolerance, and bigotry you show those with beliefs that differ from yours? It's ok to be intolerant because others are?? :skep:

Holy shit. Not only is it the most hypocritical thing I have ever heard, it's just plain sad.

Craig 10-22-2012 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxAg (Post 792519)
Clearly you do. :yesnod:

Validation issues...

Giraffe (He/Him) 10-22-2012 12:52pm

Quote:

The old adage about not throwing out the baby with the bath water comes to mind here Coool.

Fasglas 10-22-2012 2:34pm

Many thoughts were generated by OP, however...

It's just Philnesia. No comment

onedef92 10-24-2012 11:50am

and Jesus never once mentioned homosexuality

So certain are you, Phil?

God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are one in the realm of Trinitarian dynamics.

Just because the Bible doesn't record Jesus ever encountering an openly-gay man during his ministry on earth doesn't mean His word doesn't address the topic of homosexuality.

The mistake many Christians make is assume homosexuality is some sort of penultimate, unforgivable sin the blood of Christ cannot overcome.

It most certainly is not. in fact, the only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. That is worse than rejecting Christ, according to the Bible.

Matthew 12:31. Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32 And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come.

Sin against the Holy Spirit cannot be committed ignorantly. When you commit that kind of sin, you are no longer in ignorance. So the difference here is between failure to recognize Jesus and deliberate rejection of Jesus once He is recognized.

My brother, I beg you to please take care what you say in this matter. My fervent prayer is that you will someday return to Christ, Phil. There are millions of believers (myself included) who are praying for you daily.

But, you say well that our task as followers of Christ is to abhor the sin (homosexual or heterosexual) but love the sinner. Jesus' love is unconditional, but His promises are certainly conditional :yesnod:

Joecooool 10-24-2012 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedef92 (Post 794327)
and Jesus never once mentioned homosexuality

So certain are you, Phil?

God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are one in the realm of Trinitarian dynamics.

Just because the Bible doesn't record Jesus ever encountering an openly-gay man during his ministry on earth doesn't mean His word doesn't address the topic of homosexuality.

The mistake many Christians make is assume homosexuality is some sort of penultimate, unforgivable sin the blood of Christ cannot overcome.

It most certainly is not. in fact, the only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. That is worse than rejecting Christ, according to the Bible.

Matthew 12:31. Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32 And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come.

Sin against the Holy Spirit cannot be committed ignorantly. When you commit that kind of sin, you are no longer in ignorance. So the difference here is between failure to recognize Jesus and deliberate rejection of Jesus once He is recognized.

My brother, I beg you to please take care what you say in this matter. My fervent prayer is that you will someday return to Christ, Phil. There are millions of believers (myself included) who are praying for you daily.

But, you say well that our task as followers of Christ is to abhor the sin (homosexual or heterosexual) but love the sinner. Jesus' love is unconditional, but His promises are certainly conditional :yesnod:

Yes Julian, I am certain Jesus never mentioned homosexuality.

He did however, have several choice words for people like Mitt Romney -

'I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.'" Matthew 19:23-24

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Matthew 6:24

"Then [Jesus] said to them, 'Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.'" Luke 12:15

“Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.” Matthew 19:21-22:

Something to think about when you cast your vote...

RedLS1GTO 10-24-2012 12:16pm

Yea... nevermind the fact that Romney and his wife gave 29.4 percent of their income to charity in 2011, donating $4,020,772 out of the $13,696,951 they took in.

Oh. Wait. I almost forgot. It's up to you to pick which charities count. Right?

As for something to think about as I cast my vote. The fact that people like you support obama makes me damn certain I am correct not to do so.

vetteman9368 10-24-2012 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecooool (Post 794373)

'I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.'" Matthew 19:23-24

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Matthew 6:24

"Then [Jesus] said to them, 'Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.'" Luke 12:15

“Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.” Matthew 19:21-22:

that's the most idiotic interpretation of those verses I've ever read.

onedef92 10-24-2012 2:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecooool (Post 794373)

Phil, I'm praying for you man. And I love you. And much more importantly, God loves you. He always has and He always will. :) :yesnod:

And yes, I will vote. But I'm wayyyy more vested in eternity than I am politically.

Joecooool 10-24-2012 3:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxAg (Post 794441)
Ad my momma told me, "Consider the source." :cert:

The source is the bible. In this instance I agree, its stupid.

Fasglas 10-24-2012 3:11pm

I don't think that was the source alluded to.