The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   AC compressor (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16824)

LisaJohn 06-24-2011 9:42pm

AC compressor

Our ac compressor is making noise. Hubby says it looks like a pain to replace.
Anyone replace theirs? How difficult is it?
L/MM

Marmaduke 09-14-2013 7:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 326962)
Our ac compressor is making noise. Hubby says it looks like a pain to replace.
Anyone replace theirs? How difficult is it?
L/MM

Check your AC Belt Tensioner first before you buy a new compressor! Could save you some big bucks $$$$$.

Chuck A 06-03-2014 11:26am

well mine just went :
Meineke install 1200$
Pep Boys install 975$
Joes Auto 700$
all of them are using rebuild compressors, yes it pays to shop around

Sneaks 06-03-2014 1:16pm

Like Marm said, check your tensioner first. If you have to replace it, it really isn't as bad a job as it looks. Once you get under the car, you'll be able to see it isn't any more trouble than replacing the starter.

Chuck A 06-03-2014 1:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 1185850)
Like Marm said, check your tensioner first. If you have to replace it, it really isn't as bad a job as it looks. Once you get under the car, you'll be able to see it isn't any more trouble than replacing the starter.

if the dye was put in and its all over the compressor housing why would i need to do that?:confused5:

Sneaks 06-03-2014 5:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck A (Post 1185852)
if the dye was put in and its all over the compressor housing why would i need to do that?:confused5:

I was responding to Lisa's post Chuck. In your case, it would probably be the clutch seal on the compressor. And that means replacing the compressor, or rebuilding the clutch. Either way, the compressor has to come off.
Sorry if I confused ya bro. :seasix:

Chuck A 06-03-2014 6:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 1185975)
I was responding to Lisa's post Chuck. In your case, it would probably be the clutch seal on the compressor. And that means replacing the compressor, or rebuilding the clutch. Either way, the compressor has to come off.
Sorry if I confused ya bro. :seasix:

thanks i seen the leak the compressor has the dye and its all over , i decided let me add some 134 but no luck i guess it well needs to be replaced

RonC5 06-03-2014 8:21pm

I just did the water pump on the old car, and with the pump off the compressor was fairly accessible. Dependent on mileage, consider doing a pump as it needs to come off to replace the compressor. At that point the labor is free. Just noticed this was posted 2 years ago. Probably fixed by now.

Chuck A 06-04-2014 6:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 1186057)
I just did the water pump on the old car, and with the pump off the compressor was fairly accessible. Dependent on mileage, consider doing a pump as it needs to come off to replace the compressor. At that point the labor is free. Just noticed this was posted 2 years ago. Probably fixed by now.

yea how many miles on your vette when you did it? i only have 41k on mine

RonC5 06-04-2014 6:57am

I did the A/C compressor in the mid 60K's, changed out the water pump while it was apart. Now, at 130K I had a sticky t-stat, a leaking connector on the surge tank, and a sporatic purge of coolant from the water pump. So I changed out the pump, tank, t-stat and belts. All is happy now.

Chuck A 06-04-2014 8:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 1186169)
I did the A/C compressor in the mid 60K's, changed out the water pump while it was apart. Now, at 130K I had a sticky t-stat, a leaking connector on the surge tank, and a sporatic purge of coolant from the water pump. So I changed out the pump, tank, t-stat and belts. All is happy now.

yea it will take me at least 5 years to be their so i will do it then, besides i also need to do the vert that is another expense that i dread the wife has been cool so far dont want to push her button that quickly:yesnod:

Chuck A 06-05-2014 9:33am

just picked up vert wow i actually get cold air from passenger vents, i always thought the passenger control did not work
very happy indeed
figures its raining insanely here, had to quickly cover up vert due to the roof has a hole

Sneaks 06-05-2014 7:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck A (Post 1186673)
just picked up vert wow i actually get cold air from passenger vents, i always thought the passenger control did not work
very happy indeed
figures its raining insanely here, had to quickly cover up vert due to the roof has a hole

When the C5's get low on refrigerant, they will often blow warmer air from the passenger side.
Glad you got it fixed and all is well Chuck. :seasix:

Chuck A 06-05-2014 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 1186930)
When the C5's get low on refrigerant, they will often blow warmer air from the passenger side.
Glad you got it fixed and all is well Chuck. :seasix:

thanks as for me i did not mind because i can open the windows or put top down, the wife does not want air blowing at her, case in point it got fixed immediately:yesnod:

Bucwheat 07-20-2014 6:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 1186169)

I did they same on my C5.

ptindall 07-28-2014 9:43am

I swapeed out the compressor without removing the water pump. IIRC, I pulled the driver's side motor mount bolt and lifted the engine a tad.