The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What are the biggest wastes in household purchasing? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137408)

Louie Detroit 04-20-2024 2:44pm

What are the biggest wastes in household purchasing?

I see a lot of people blow money unnecessarily on bullshit during their shopping trip, just look into their shopping cart. Purchases that irk me:

Kleenex - use soft shitpaper instead, they're just snot rags FFS.

Dinner Napkins - use paper towels instead. If you're so delicate about eating why don't you buy some monogrammed dinner napkins?

Anything else you can add?

GTOguy 04-20-2024 3:05pm

Sodas, junk food with lots of sugar, snacks, etc. Fake fruit juice. Just plain crap. Expensive crap, too.

Don Rickles 04-20-2024 3:13pm

She buys them but, trash bags. They go straight in the can!:rofl:

Yadkin 04-20-2024 3:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louie Detroit (Post 2248834)
I see a lot of people blow money unnecessarily on bullshit during their shopping trip, just look into their shopping cart. Purchases that irk me:

Dinner Napkins - use paper towels instead. If you're so delicate about eating why don't you buy some monogrammed dinner napkins?

Anything else you can add?

You're just trading in one thing for the other. That's not waste.

Biggest waste are tattoos and cigarettes.

Louie Detroit 04-20-2024 3:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2248842)
You're just trading in one thing for the other. That's not waste.

Biggest waste are tattoos and cigarettes.

I'm talking $$$ as waste. The weekly grocery bill.

LATB 04-20-2024 3:24pm

Paper products are relatively cheap so we are always stocked up.
I have no problem with toilet paper on the holder for toilet use.
Kleenex on the toilet tank for nose and other uses.
Paper towels in the kitchen and garage for cleanup.
Paper napkins on the table for eating.

I admit to using these paper products for uses outside their marketing intentions.
It’s really not a big deal.

Yadkin 04-20-2024 3:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louie Detroit (Post 2248845)
I'm talking $$$ as waste. The weekly grocery bill.

I'm going by the thread title.
Quote:

What are the biggest wastes in household purchasing?
Storage units. People spend thousands per year to store hundreds of dollars worth of stuff.

Bruze 04-20-2024 3:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rickles (Post 2248840)
She buys them but, trash bags. They go straight in the can!:rofl:

So you like it in the can? :shrug:

GTOguy 04-20-2024 3:52pm

I agree with Yadkin. Also $5 cups of coffee at Starbucks. And at $10-$13 per pack, cigarettes. I buy a pound of Bustello Espresso for $4 and it lasts me about 3 weeks, making a pot every morning. So I'm paying 20 cents per day, for about 3 cups of coffee. About 7 cents instead of $5. And it's better coffee.

Yadkin 04-20-2024 3:55pm

Cigs are the worst. Do the math, man. You could nearly buy a second home for what people are paying to destroy their health.

Bruze 04-20-2024 3:55pm

1 Attachment(s)
Ziploc bags. Most people (everybody?) uses them once and throws them out.

I was raised by very frugal parents, who were young adults during the Depression and learned to not throw anything out that was still usable.

I worsh mine and clip them above the sink to drip dry, and use them until they get a hole in them or the zipper is shot.

In the 52 years since I left home, I figured I've saved around $11.74 doing this. https://i.postimg.cc/8PLK1KBc/egypt.gif https://i.postimg.cc/8PLK1KBc/egypt.gif https://i.postimg.cc/8PLK1KBc/egypt.gif

Attachment 100416

Bruze 04-20-2024 3:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 2248853)
I agree with Yadkin. Also $5 cups of coffee at Starbucks. And at $10-$13 per pack, cigarettes. I buy a pound of Bustello Espresso for $4 and it lasts me about 3 weeks, making a pot every morning. So I'm paying 20 cents per day, for about 3 cups of coffee. About 7 cents instead of $5. And it's better coffee.

I've never been to Starbucks in my life. :shrug:

Sometimes I'll buy brewed coffee at the supermarket, but that's about it if I'm not home.

Yadkin 04-20-2024 4:00pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 2248855)
Ziploc bags. Most people (everybody?) uses them once and throws them out.

I was raised by very frugal parents, who were young adults during the Depression and learned to not throw anything out that was still usable.

I worsh mine and clip them above the sink to drip dry, and use them until they get a hole in them or the zipper is shot.

In the 52 years since I left home, I figured I've saved around $11.74 doing this.

I actually have a bin full of used bags. If clean, they go in this bin, and I use them in the garage.

Bruze 04-20-2024 4:08pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2248850)
I'm going by the thread title.

Storage units. People spend thousands per year to store hundreds of dollars worth of stuff.

Yes, if there ever was a "First World Problem," that ^ is it.

This is nothing compared to the money spent on storing "stuff:"

Attachment 100418

Yadkin 04-20-2024 4:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 2248859)
Yes, if there ever was a "First World Problem," that ^ is it.

This is nothing compared to the money spent on storing "stuff:"

Attachment 100418

Any home that I have ever lived in or owned had a basement and some kind of attic, so I never had to think about paying to store old furniture or extra household wares that you might use someday.

Last year when we downsized from the big city home to our smaller vacation home, I was forced into renting a storage unit. Climate controlled 10' square was $190/ month. I had to pay that shit for nearly a year until I finished the addition. :spdchk:

bsmith 04-20-2024 4:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louie Detroit (Post 2248834)

I always used TP and paper towels.
I had no idea I was doing it wrong all those years...until I got married.

Tikiman 04-20-2024 4:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 2248846)
Paper products are relatively cheap so we are always stocked up.
I have no problem with toilet paper on the holder for toilet use.
Kleenex on the toilet tank for nose and other uses.
Paper towels in the kitchen and garage for cleanup.
Paper napkins on the table for eating.

I admit to using these paper products for uses outside their marketing intentions.
It’s really not a big deal.

:iagree:

I have no problems making life convenient by purchasing paper products. In addition to those listed above, I will also add paper plates. Take raw meat out to the grill on one and throw it away. Aluminum foil is another handy item that I cannot be without.

Biggest wastes that I notice are processed foods. People have either lost the knowledge of how to cook real food or they have lost the desire. It's work - make no mistake about it. But one gets good at it eventually with practice. I'm lucky because cooking is one of my hobbies and I enjoy it.

LATB 04-20-2024 4:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikiman (Post 2248871)
:iagree:

I have no problems making life convenient by purchasing paper products. In addition to those listed above, I will also add paper plates. Take raw meat out to the grill on one and throw it away. Aluminum foil is another handy item that I cannot be without.

Biggest wastes that I notice are processed foods. People have either lost the knowledge of how to cook real food or they have lost the desire. It's work - make no mistake about it. But one gets good at it eventually with practice. I'm lucky because cooking is one of my hobbies and I enjoy it.

Yep.
We are also big consumers of paper plates and aluminum foil and baggies.
I also will buy those rolls of shop towels and the “box of rags” (although those are cotton not paper)

DAB 04-20-2024 4:58pm

$105,000 two seater sports cars.....

if you have money, enjoy it; don't covet what other's have.

LATB 04-20-2024 5:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 2248874)
$105,000 two seater sports cars.....

if you have money, enjoy it; don't covet what other's have.

$105,000 seems specific.