The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Garage wall ideas? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137274)

Ronins2ndCuzzin 04-09-2024 7:32am

Garage wall ideas?

So I'm at the point where I'm ready to add a wall system to my shop/garage. Right now I'm leaning very heavily towards a complete Trusscore system. I'm just running into a finishing/mounting issue. I think I'll have to add furring strips to get 24" "studs" to mount the wall system to. Currently it's a commercial metal building with 48" OC and 52" OC studs. I could use some extra brain power in figuring out if I'm on the right path. Lets talk some shop gents. :hurray:

In your dream shop, what walls would you use and why?

DJ_Critterus 04-09-2024 7:52am

Don't let Yaddy engineer this or everything will be over complicated and off by 1/8th of an inch.

What is it you are trying to do? Store stuff? Hang tools, cabinets, etc...? I'm not familiar with much of anything you mentioned in the OP.

Ronins2ndCuzzin 04-09-2024 7:53am

General mechanic work (shop has a lift), but I also do gunsmithing and ammo production. They have their own corner of the shop. It's also a gym and a man-cave.

LATB 04-09-2024 7:55am

The Trusscore is expensive and I’m not sold on it especially since it’s new.

I’d stud up and use drywall.

Ronins2ndCuzzin 04-09-2024 8:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 2244035)
The Trusscore is expensive and I’m not sold on it especially since it’s new.

I’d stud up and use drywall.

Considered drywall for a day or so, then I realized that it's not good with moisture (I live in rural NC, so very humid here at times) unless you get the purple stuff which is much more expensive. Additionally, drywall does not like metal sparks from grinding which I do on occasion.

Yadkin 04-09-2024 8:32am

I agree with Lars to stay away from Trusscore. It's PVC and therefore flammable. I don't see how it meets any Code.

Drywall is basically fireproof, and when painted works very well in a shop environment.

Cheapest thing is corrugated metal sheathing. Comes in several gauges.

What's on the walls now, bare steel frame?

DAB 04-09-2024 8:54am

Studs, 24” OC, 3/4” plywood, painted any color you like.

Sparks? Get a deflector for your grinder, or make some mobile walls that you can repair and replace as needed. On wheels.

LATB 04-09-2024 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronins2ndCuzzin (Post 2244047)
Considered drywall for a day or so, then I realized that it's not good with moisture (I live in rural NC, so very humid here at times) unless you get the purple stuff which is much more expensive. Additionally, drywall does not like metal sparks from grinding which I do on occasion.

I’d still use the moisture resistant drywall. Paint it with a mold inhibitor paint. And call it done.

LATB 04-09-2024 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 2244059)
Studs, 24” OC, 3/4” plywood, painted any color you like.

Sparks? Get a deflector for your grinder, or make some mobile walls that you can repair and replace as needed. On wheels.

Plywood is a better choice than the Trusscore IMO.

RedLS1GTO 04-09-2024 10:39am

I've come to the conclusion that I hate shit hanging on walls in the garage. What is it that you are looking to organize?

GTOguy 04-09-2024 11:16am

I have pegboard over the back wall and some shelving built off the studs, which have insulation between them. I used Masonite sheets on some areas, but at the advice of a friend of mine, did not close the walls fully so as not to provide rodent housing. I do reloading on the workbench as well as car repair stuff, from engine and transmission overhaul to suspension work. I like the pegboard because I have a lot of CRAP that needs to be off the ground and accessible.

Ronins2ndCuzzin 04-09-2024 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2244050)
I agree with Lars to stay away from Trusscore. It's PVC and therefore flammable. I don't see how it meets any Code.

Drywall is basically fireproof, and when painted works very well in a shop environment.

Cheapest thing is corrugated metal sheathing. Comes in several gauges.

What's on the walls now, bare steel frame?

It's Class A fire rated: https://trusscore.com/products/fire-...nd-safety.html

Bare metal studs with corrugated metal external panels. Standard metal building.

I'd like something other than drywall.

Rodnok1 04-09-2024 12:59pm

Not a fan of one off systems, when have a issue later either they're gone or can't get the product.
Consider a multi type wall. Steel down low for durability then switch at workbench height. I'd consider a standard slat wall as bits n pieces are common and it's pretty cheap overall.

Ronins2ndCuzzin 04-09-2024 1:07pm

Drywall doesn't stand up very well to abuse. I'm very abusive in the shop environment. Tools dropping, bring thrown, heavy ammo cans and bins moving around and bumping walls, cleaning chemicals and sprays being used, etc...

Drywall doesn't like any of those things.

LATB 04-09-2024 1:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronins2ndCuzzin (Post 2244198)
Drywall doesn't stand up very well to abuse. I'm very abusive in the shop environment. Tools dropping, bring thrown, heavy ammo cans and bins moving around and bumping walls, cleaning chemicals and sprays being used, etc...

Drywall doesn't like any of those things.

I think that you may be overthinking it. As mentioned above maybe do metal at the bottom and drywall or wood (plywood or siding or tongue & groove) above.

How about the ceiling? And are you going to insulate and HVAC the building?

Btw- tools being thrown?

Onebadcad 04-09-2024 1:12pm

1 Attachment(s)
I opted for a cabinet system along a side wall, metal, vented, durable, not maintenance.
For things that do not fit in cabinets I did a hook section of 1/3 of back wall, about 10' feet of hook area.
Not everything could fit on wall, too many brooms of various types, floor jack, jack stands, etc, so I keep those in garage's front next to the ever-growing STACKS of tires.
The problem I want to avoid are hanging items falling into cars.

I went with Husky brand, 5 cabinets with adjustable shelves, I think 36" W and 15" D.
They were like $400/each about 6 years ago at HD, HD took my money and a third-party 48' semi delivered them.
Each cabinet was dropped at least once during delivery / transfer, I accepted delivery but called the HD Manager, he came to house and viewed, said he could not fix or resell, told me Merry Christmas early and said they were free. There were some damage, nothing I was not able to fix in a few hours
I brought him a LARGE dinner gift card the next day.

Ronins2ndCuzzin 04-09-2024 1:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 2244207)
I think that you may be overthinking it. As mentioned above maybe do metal at the bottom and drywall or wood (plywood or siding or tongue & groove) above.

How about the ceiling? And are you going to insulate and HVAC the building?

Btw- tools being thrown?

Ceiling is open high-bay with spray foam insulation. Shop has HVAC/Heat in the form of a 3-ton mini-split.

When tools suck (or break)...I throw them. It's just my thing. Never towards cars, people, valuable objects, or pets though...

MadInNc 04-09-2024 4:42pm

My son in law went with Gladiator found at Lowe’s. Solid. Like Trusco but ya install a 4’ metal rack and add hangers etc.

DAB 04-09-2024 4:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronins2ndCuzzin (Post 2244235)
Ceiling is open high-bay with spray foam insulation. Shop has HVAC/Heat in the form of a 3-ton mini-split.

When tools suck (or break)...I throw them. It's just my thing. Never towards cars, people, valuable objects, or pets though...

gotta learn to control yourself.

my shop has 5/8" drywall, and i built various cabinets/pegboards that hang off a french cleat system on 3 walls. makes changing location of cabinet/pegboard easy, no added holes in the walls.

i don't throw things.

Ronins2ndCuzzin 04-09-2024 9:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 2244331)
gotta learn to control yourself.

my shop has 5/8" drywall, and i built various cabinets/pegboards that hang off a french cleat system on 3 walls. makes changing location of cabinet/pegboard easy, no added holes in the walls.

i don't throw things.

I have phenomenal control...I control the throw of the busted tools in a direction that does the least amount of damage to the things that do not fail me. But that tool MUST DIE again and forever. A tool that fails me does not belong in the warm graces of my shop or utilization on my cars. It must be spartan kicked into the pit of hell...therefore, I throw my failed tools. I will NOT YIELD on this endeavor. :cert: