The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   4 post car lift (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136910)

kylebuck 03-16-2024 6:18pm

4 post car lift

Looking to add some vertical space to my garage.
What brand do you have and would you buy it again?

zeek 03-16-2024 6:32pm

:waiting:

Frankie the Fink 03-16-2024 6:38pm

2 Attachment(s)
I bout one from "Garage Gadgets" in Orlando; its the one they used at the NCRS event when it used to be at Kissimmee, FL. Yes, I would buy it again BUT the same lift is rebranded by several companies.... Mine is labeled PROKAR; you can spend a lot more for a Backyard Buddy or several others but I saw no need - this one works fine for EVERYTHING I do

zeek 03-16-2024 6:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 2233063)
I bout one from "Garage Gadgets" in Orlando; its the one they used at the NCRS event when it used to be at Kissimmee, FL. Yes, I would buy it again BUT the same lift is rebranded by several companies.... Mine is labeled PROKAR; you can spend a lot more for a Backyard Buddy or several others but I saw no need - this one works fine for EVERYTHING I do

Nice! My next garage will be tall enough for one....:seasix:

markids77 03-16-2024 7:26pm

The Fink shows a fair reason not to go 4 post... if you need to take a tire off for any reason you must jack the car up off the lift, instead of using the lift to jack up the car.

Kevin68 03-16-2024 9:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 2233118)
The Fink shows a fair reason not to go 4 post... if you need to take a tire off for any reason you must jack the car up off the lift, instead of using the lift to jack up the car.

He’s looking for vertical storage. Can’t do that on a 2 post. Both have their advantages, always a trade off.

OP, check out https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/
Lots of options. There aren’t many manufacturers of lifts, just a lot of different badging. I have a Direct Lift 9000# extra long extra wide. Would buy again. Everything about it seems solid. But whatever you buy, there aren’t many, if any, that are 100% USA sourced and manufactured. And if their is, be prepared to pay. Used and set up properly, they are all designed with large safety factors. That said, I do oil/fuel filter changes on my 7500#Ram on my back.

Yadkin 03-16-2024 9:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 2233063)

Are those oak stumps? :Jeff '79:

Yadkin 03-16-2024 9:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin68 (Post 2233161)
He’s looking for vertical storage. Can’t do that on a 2 post. Both have their advantages, always a trade off.

This.

And I like a four post moar bettah. Light beams instead of heavy cantilevers.

ratflinger 03-16-2024 9:47pm

4-post Direct Lift from Derek Weaver - ALI certified. You can get jacks that lift either end and fit in the include jack tray.

I've had both and prefer the 4-poster

Rodnok1 03-16-2024 10:22pm

I have a Worth 12k extended lift, they use chains.
Works very well, I use it as an alignment lift so it's been leveled to as close to perfect as I could get it.
I've seen some of the wire rope units eat pulleys in short order.
If you're looking for storage type lift only the wire ones ard fine I'm sure.
I use mine regularly and glad I didn't get that style.

kylebuck 03-16-2024 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 2233118)

I need storage.

Black94lt1 03-16-2024 11:14pm

1 Attachment(s)
I don’t recall the brand of mine, maybe never knew, bought it from a local distributor that offered delivery and installation. The heaviest part is the runner with the hydraulic cylinder, takes 2-3 people to handle it. They had mine installed in less than 2 hours.

Mine is American made and have had it for over 15 years with no issues other the cylinder developed a minor leak a couple of years ago. I pulled it and had a hydraulic shop rebuild it along with making new hoses.

Best purchase I’ve ever made. The ones now have adjustable stops so if you need them 1” higher you don’t have to raise the base plates like I had to do

MadInNc 03-17-2024 12:03am

1 Attachment(s)
Ive had a BendPak HD-9W for 17+ yr's. Been perfect. Wide enough to easily back on to without worries about knocking a mirror off.

When I bought I researched and at that time BendPak was one of the few that was ALI and ETL and other certified. Had more papers than the BackYard Buddy at the time. Has air locks so need a small compressor which gave a second level of security from kids messing with it. I also bought a rolling jack (see pic on front of M1) so I can raise the front or back of any car on the lift. While metal is from overseas, they are assembled and shipped in the US. Their own brand, not relabeled.

With a few friends installed it at first house in a couple of hours. Weight is as stated all in ramp with hydraulics. You can also have installed a a list on installers can be found on their site. When we moved I paid their guys I found on the site to move the lift. As long as I more than 2 cars, I will have a 4 post lift. Literally 100's of oil changes, dozens of brake jobs and a few clutches. Saved my back many a times. Never laid on the ground since then. Never any issue with lift ever.

Check out Garage Journal https://www.garagejournal.com where ya can find way to many options on 4 post lifts

Datawiz 03-17-2024 7:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylebuck (Post 2233201)
I need storage.

Throw that junk away! :leaving:

Don Rickles 03-17-2024 7:31am

1 Attachment(s)
I use a lift for both, storage and to work on cars. My son gets the credit for buying and having the Rotary 10k installed. Luckily, I built the garage to the perfect height so that the lift just fit. I could squeeze another four post lift in the rear of the garage, I'm trying to unload all the crap taking up the space now....

Frankie the Fink 03-17-2024 8:49am

2 Attachment(s)
You can get a "bridge jack" for 4 post lifts to do same axle lifting, front or rear, but - not cheap....some use inflatable "air bags" to do the same thing. I haven't found anything I could not do on the 4 poster (including a complete rear end overhaul of EVERYTHING); it does take some patience and a bit of ingenuity, but. its worth it to me. A good, beefy bottle jack in the sliding tray to get the car airborne then some jack stands and some wooden "backup" blocks and its safe and convenient.

Also a 4 post lets me prop up heavy suspension components on the ramps during R&R without a lot of drama... (second pic)

Vandelay Industries 03-17-2024 8:59am

Poor people problems.

https://dallasinnovates.com/wp-conte...or_MNS3535.jpg

MadInNc 03-17-2024 9:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 2233280)
You can get a "bridge jack" for 4 post lifts to do same axle lifting, front or rear, but - not cheap....some use inflatable "air bags" to do the same thing. I haven't found anything I could not do on the 4 poster (including a complete rear end overhaul of EVERYTHING); it does take some patience and a bit of ingenuity, but. its worth it to me. A good, beefy bottle jack in the sliding tray to get the car airborne then some jack stands and some wooden "backup" blocks and its safe and convenient.

Also a 4 post lets me prop up heavy suspension components on the ramps during R&R without a lot of drama... (second pic)

I’ve the rolling jack or bridge jack as ya say. 2nd best investment with 1 being the lift:seasix:

RMVette 03-17-2024 9:57am

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Superior lift that I bought used from a Corvette club member and I think they're out of business now. Pic from when I had my C5:

Attachment 98563

Datawiz 03-17-2024 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries (Post 2233286)
Poor people problems.

You work for Carvana? :lol: