The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Fly it 'Til the Wheels Fall Off: Delta 757 Loses Wheel Upon Take Off in Hotlanta (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135984)

Bill 01-23-2024 5:49pm

Fly it 'Til the Wheels Fall Off: Delta 757 Loses Wheel Upon Take Off in Hotlanta

KenHorse 01-23-2024 5:53pm

Who knew Les Schwab was woke!

vettemed 01-23-2024 6:30pm

I mean, it's fun to laugh at Boeing right now, but that's clearly a maintenance fault and not a design fault at this point. 757 is an old platform and I'm pretty sure any design flaws are long since discovered.

Bill 01-23-2024 6:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettemed (Post 2206286)
I mean, it's fun to laugh at Boeing right now, but that's clearly a maintenance fault and not a design fault at this point. 757 is an old platform and I'm pretty sure any design flaws are long since discovered.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/about-delta/diversity

Quote:

Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Lifting As We Climb
We actively seek diversity, boldly pursue equity, and consciously promote inclusion to create a sense of belonging for all people.

Translation: We actively discriminate against straight, White men, the kind of people who formerly, at least, made sure wheels don't fall off of airplanes.

https://news.delta.com/how-delta-sup...d-around-world

Quote:

Delta is committed to constantly improving opportunities for both employees and customers and has a long history of supporting Pride events.
Translation: If you present as an alphabet weirdo, White men, we might hire you then, but you really have to be flamboyant about it.

vettemed 01-23-2024 7:24pm

O yeah, forgot about the Delta part of it. F them!

Chemtrails99 01-24-2024 8:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettemed (Post 2206286)

It is NOT "clearly a maintenance issue".

It is a human factors issue, and I'd wager to bet it was caused by some pilot's hard landing and lack of reporting it. Aircraft face a yearly (annual) inspection and a 100 hour inspection. In airliners they can't take them off line to complete that much checking all at once. Therefore they rotate through a series of checks that allows the airframe to remain current. If a dumb pilot prangs the plane in an area that has just been inspected, he's supposed to report it. Otherwise, nobody has any reason to look at that area until it's next scheduled check. Given that 89.4% of all crashes are caused by pilot error, and maintenance accounts for .05% of incidents, the blame simply by numbers lay outside of maintenance...

vettemed 01-24-2024 8:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 (Post 2206475)

It is a human factors issue, and I'd wager to bet it was caused by some pilot's hard landing and lack of reporting it. Aircraft face a yearly (annual) inspection and a 100 hour inspection. In airliners they can't take them off line to complete that much checking all at once. Therefore they rotate through a series of checks that allows the airframe to remain current. If a dumb pilot prangs the plane in an area that has just been inspected, he's supposed to report it. Otherwise, nobody has any reason to look at that area until it's next scheduled check. Given that 89.4% of all crashes are caused by pilot error, and maintenance accounts for .05% of incidents, the blame simply by numbers lay outside of maintenance...

Fair enough, you know more about the process than I do. My main point was it's not a design flaw that showed up 30 years later.

Frankie the Fink 01-24-2024 8:55am

Lots of speculation (I worked on Navy fighters at the depot level for years) but we'll see what an inspection shows. If I worked on anything, the paperwork got stamped with my "artisan stamp" - a number specific to me and if I did something shoddy (never happened) it could be traced directly to me.

I remember the stamp number 50 years later; "4AC92"

slewfoot 01-24-2024 8:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 (Post 2206475)

I remember the Army changing the helicopter inspection requirements similar to this back in the mid 70's. The aircraft use to come in and completely stripped. The down time was a couple weeks or longer vs a day or so by changing the hours that components needed to be inspected.

DJ_Critterus 01-24-2024 9:01am

Stangkiller 01-24-2024 9:03am

Clearly they parked in the wrong neighborhood...probably time they built the airport on the north side of town too. Peachtree Dekalb is too busy during the holidays.