The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Pisswords are passing me off..... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120662)

mrvette 11-18-2019 2:47am

Pisswords are passing me off.....

For the longest time it's been getting stupider and worse on keeping some what seems like dozens of online contacts/bank/CCard/stores/sites/etc straight with my passwords, they all have different requirements, and I need get more organized about this crap, the notes tacked on the wall behind the desk are getting too disorganized......having to avoid all the scammers is getting frustrating already, change and update pisswords to some site and trying to keep all the updates straight......meantime dome google smartass raids the computer online and gets all the info wanted, wife insidted on a new virus/pest/asswhole control defense just last night, Norton this time around....woopie doo....

I ASSume yawl have the same sorta issues.....

:issues:

MEANZ06 11-18-2019 3:24am

It's a "piss me off", It's like I have to fix a password every week! :cuss:

Rodnok1 11-18-2019 7:41am

I have a spiral folder I've kept passwords in for 10 years, I keep all the old ones and date everything. Saved my ass once when "a breach" occurred and made everyone get new passwords. Well since I couldn't pass the online security shit(where have you lived, car license plates, etc) as I have a common name and I couldn't answer questions as they weren't about me. Almost 3 days of on/off calling the company I finally got the right person and since I had extensive info on past accounts/passwords they were eventually able to let me in. Yes it was a total cluster... The nice lady on the phone was very helpful but unfortunately my problems were above her pay grade, she got mad and got it fixed though.

On another note, extremely difficult passwords on sites like forums are stupid , especially when they have to be reset every few months. Just to login at the last place I worked your needed a complex password and the had a litany of requirements and kept the last 2 years passwords that couldn't use, then there were the 6 other passwords just to access email and various employee sites on a daily basis.

I did get someone fired at our company HQ over passwords, he thought it'd be cute to throw a crude word password generator file in the system. They reset all passwords and sent a one time password, 10% of them were various genitalia words. Friend started laughing when he got his password and since he reset it he shared, I had overhead another person saying the same about the passwords. Quick call to the boss and the guy was shown the door in a couple of hrs. Of course because of it they reset all passwords again.

Mike Mercury 11-18-2019 9:31am

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/68/6a/ac/6...funny-shit.jpg

https://hothardware.com/ContentImage...sword-Meme.jpg

Barn Babe 11-18-2019 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1687528)

This :banghead:

mrvette 11-18-2019 1:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barn Babe (Post 1687537)
This :banghead:

Yeh, join the club......:issues:

Aerovette 11-18-2019 2:54pm

Use a pattern. It helps.

Example: account@last 4 digits of phone if a special character is required.

phonebill@1234

Example: account last 4 digits of phone number if no special character is required

phonebill1234

phone@1234
insurance@1234
power@1234
water1234
gas1234

If they make you change it occasionally, flip it
1234@phone
1234@insurance

Cybercowboy 11-18-2019 4:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1687557)
Use a pattern. It helps.

Example: account@last 4 digits of phone if a special character is required.

phonebill@1234

Example: account last 4 digits of phone number if no special character is required

phonebill1234

phone@1234
insurance@1234
power@1234
water1234
gas1234

If they make you change it occasionally, flip it
1234@phone
1234@insurance

No. Just no. Oh dear God no.

Sorry, this is terrible advise on passwords. Sorry Aerovette.

My advice is to use a password organizer program. I use KeePass2 which works great for me but may not the be ideal program for everyone. There are a ton of them out there. It can generate pretty much impossible-to-break passwords with ease, or your can use whatever ones you like and it will grade you on how good they are. I have it set up so it synchronizes with several devices/computers so if I need to add one on my Linux laptop, it is in the same database as on my Windows computer or iPad/iPhone.

Other than that, keeping a notebook of passwords and having it well organized and a good hiding place is OK I guess but will get you destroyed if anyone gets their hands on it.

Wathen1955 11-18-2019 9:23pm

I have 2 methods:
1. I use LastPass in my browser. Nice attachment that not only auto-fills your sites, but also generates random passwords that you don't have to remember. You only need to remember 1 password once you log in.
2. I also use a simple text file with the same passwords. It's more of a backup for #1, but the text file is encrypted using WinZip, so all I have to remember is one simple password that is 16 characters long. you can also use 7zip or WinRar.

Aerovette 11-19-2019 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1687561)
No. Just no. Oh dear God no.

Sorry, this is terrible advise on passwords. Sorry Aerovette.

My advice is to use a password organizer program. I use KeePass2 which works great for me but may not the be ideal program for everyone. There are a ton of them out there. It can generate pretty much impossible-to-break passwords with ease, or your can use whatever ones you like and it will grade you on how good they are. I have it set up so it synchronizes with several devices/computers so if I need to add one on my Linux laptop, it is in the same database as on my Windows computer or iPad/iPhone.

Other than that, keeping a notebook of passwords and having it well organized and a good hiding place is OK I guess but will get you destroyed if anyone gets their hands on it.

:lol::lol: It is NOT meant as a high security measure. :lol:

It is meant as a way to remember. I am certainly aware it is VERY risky, but no one knows what my particular pattern is. Could be a VIN, license plate, calendar date, numeric value of a name, year of a vehicle...anything. Also, the phone could be "phone" " or "Landline" or "Verizon" or " MaBell" or any of a few dozen options and I could spell it backwards etc. The odds of a human figuring it out is pretty slim. Possibly some program, but still don't think so.

Bad advice, but good for remembering. :)

Uncle Meat 11-19-2019 7:47am

Not only do I have numerous passwords I use at home for all of the different accounts the wife and I have, I'm also a Software Test Engineer and I have another 50+ passwords I use at work on a regular basis. It's absolutely MADDENING!

U.M.

Olustee bus 11-19-2019 9:13am

I have evolved to use passwords like Fkgaol

snide 11-19-2019 9:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat (Post 1687589)
Not only do I have numerous passwords I use at home for all of the different accounts the wife and I have, I'm also a Software Test Engineer and I have another 50+ passwords I use at work on a regular basis. It's absolutely MADDENING!

U.M.

I don't think I could remember 50 active passwords. :willy: 49 is enough. :leaving:

Strats-N-Vettes 11-19-2019 9:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1687597)
I don't think I could remember 50 active passwords. :willy: 49 is enough. :leaving:

:skia:

Mike Mercury 11-19-2019 10:00am

https://media.makeameme.org/created/...n-password.jpg

Rodnok1 11-19-2019 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat (Post 1687589)

U.M.

Same here as I had systems scattered all over the country, between passwords, key codes, and combos I had dozens I was supposed to remember.