The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   So I look out the window this morning..... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115118)

Millenium Vette 02-25-2018 5:41pm

So I look out the window this morning.....

https://i.imgur.com/QyzbdOb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u3Jk0gd.jpg

:banghead:

OddBall 02-25-2018 5:43pm

Hey, there's a tree down in your yard.

Just FYI...

Ol Timer 02-25-2018 5:46pm

That makes it easier to climb!

Mike Mercury 02-25-2018 5:56pm

life throws you lemons like that occasionally.

Millenium Vette 02-25-2018 6:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1615788)

I am actually very fortunate. It could have been much worse. The tree fell where it did no damage. Any other direction and it would have been on the house, across the neighbor's driveway taking out power and cable/internet/phone for me, or gone into the street taking out the overhead lines with it.

:cert:

OddBall 02-25-2018 6:15pm

Quote:

Pretty sure that's a pine.

Chuck A 02-25-2018 6:25pm

very sad, indeed

OddBall 02-25-2018 6:28pm

Are you going to use it, or just get rid of it?

Cybercowboy 02-25-2018 6:38pm

You can tell it's dead by the way it is.

FasterTraffic 02-25-2018 6:39pm

If a tree falls in your yard in the middle of the night, does it make a sound?

Datawiz 02-25-2018 6:42pm

WAY easier to cut that thing up. I don't see the need for distress. :confused: Looks like you won the lottery.

Black94lt1 02-25-2018 6:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1615807)
WAY easier to cut that thing up. I don't see the need for distress. :confused: Looks like you won the lottery.

And no need for a stump grinder

Cybercowboy 02-25-2018 6:50pm

Quote:

20 years ago roughly, bought a lot to build our house on. Two huge oak trees right where the house goes, so big they didn't take them with the other trees that were cut down. Two giant logs sitting on my property during the initial stages of construction. Finally I asked my contractor what was the deal with them. He said "Well, I hate to tell you but it's going to cost about $800 to have them hauled off." I was not happy to hear that. Told him to hold off for now.

Later that week I was checking on the house as was my daily ritual and a couple guys in a pickup came from a few houses down. They were doing an engineering study on this house with drainage problems, a local engineering firm logo on their company truck.

"Hey, you the property owner?"

"Yes, why you ask?"

"What are you going to do with those two oak trunks?"

"Get rid of them, hopefully."

"We can take them today."

"Oh, how much?"

"Nothing, we'll just take them off your hands."

"That works for me!" :lol:

No kidding, an hour later they show up with a semi/flatbed with a crane on it. They load those two logs up, chain them down, 10 feet+ sticking out from the back of the flatbed, and side-by-side were as wide as the trailer. Later I asked them what they did with them. They said they sold them to a local wood mill, got a couple thousand for them.

Datawiz 02-25-2018 6:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1615809)
20 years ago roughly, bought a lot to build our house on. Two huge oak trees right where the house goes, so big they didn't take them with the other trees that were cut down. Two giant logs sitting on my property during the initial stages of construction. Finally I asked my contractor what was the deal with them. He said "Well, I hate to tell you but it's going to cost about $800 to have them hauled off." I was not happy to hear that. Told him to hold off for now.

Later that week I was checking on the house as was my daily ritual and a couple guys in a pickup came from a few houses down. They were doing an engineering study on this house with drainage problems, a local engineering firm logo on their company truck.

"Hey, you the property owner?"

"Yes, why you ask?"

"What are you going to do with those two oak trunks?"

"Get rid of them, hopefully."

"We can take them today."

"Oh, how much?"

"Nothing, we'll just take them off your hands."

"That works for me!" :lol:

No kidding, an hour later they show up with a semi/flatbed with a crane on it. They load those two logs up, chain them down, 10 feet+ sticking out from the back of the flatbed, and side-by-side were as wide as the trailer. Later I asked them what they did with them. They said they sold them to a local wood mill, got a couple thousand for them.

Win win! Love a happy ending. :hurray:

StaticCling 02-25-2018 7:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1615799)

No foliage on that tree, so it's gotta be something else? Ash maybe?

On second look, the surrounding leaves look a bit oak-ish?

Millenium Vette 02-25-2018 7:04pm

Quote:

No distress here, just showing that life isn't always perfect. I'll make a call and the problem will be gone. :cert:

Millenium Vette 02-25-2018 7:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1615811)

https://i.imgur.com/RZeCGu6.jpg

No, it's a blue spruce.

Aerovette 02-25-2018 7:22pm

You must have gotten up early. One of your trees is still sleeping.:D

OddBall 02-25-2018 8:44pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1615799)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1615811)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1615813)
https://i.imgur.com/RZeCGu6.jpg

No, it's a blue spruce.

Definitely not a lemon tree.

mrvette 02-25-2018 9:42pm

Same sort of shit with a VERY tall ~100' oak in my front yard......they left the major limbs around the yard to rot, but hauled off the 3' diameter trunk in 3 sections on a flat bed using a crane to load them.....obviously.....800 bux total price to me and neighbor......stump ground out and removed a couple years later 200 bux.....

Stupid previous owners/planners/contractors for letting these trees grow to be such a hazard......

:issues::dance: