The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   TV question (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122200)

Shrike6 04-03-2020 4:36pm

TV question

I havent bought a new tv in a while, and the one we use in the living room is fine. But, if I wanted one in a back bedroom, could it hook up to the wifi, and get Fios over that? Or does it need the physical cable?
We have the Quantum Gateway. 48 down, 17 up.
I see they now have all kinds of apps.

Mick 04-03-2020 4:42pm

I have said this before: The difference between a "smart" TV and one that isn't "smart" (I guess that would be a "dumb" TV) is that a smart TV can connect directly to your in-home WIFI without any intervening doohickey. All of our TVs are sufficiently old that they are dumb TVs, and each uses a doohickey that is either an "Apple TV" device or a "Firestick" (Amazon), to connect to our WIFI. These are one-time purchase items, with no monthly subscription.

Obviously from the above, I have not bought a TV in a number of years, but I assume that all TVs nowadays are "Smart TVs", which would make aerovette correct. But if it was me, I would check the specs on any new TV I was interested in to make sure it is a smart TV.

Good luck!

Shrike6 04-03-2020 4:45pm

Thanks! They all sound smarter than me.

snide 04-03-2020 5:12pm

If you have a TV service provider, chances are, you'll need a TV box for your new "smart" TV. That box will require an HDMI cable to the TV. Depending on the provider, you may need an ethernet cable to go from the box to the router, although some providers do provide WiFi boxes.

As you mentioned, the TVs today all have apps for all the content out there. If you already subscribe to a service such as Amazon Prime, Netflex, etc., your new smart TV will be able to play the content, after you sign in to your account(s).

:cheers:

Stangkiller 04-03-2020 5:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1749313)
If you have a TV service provider, chances are, you'll need a TV box for your new "smart" TV. That box will require an HDMI cable to the TV. Depending on the provider, you may need an ethernet cable to go from the box to the router, although some providers do provide WiFi boxes.

As you mentioned, the TVs today all have apps for all the content out there. If you already subscribe to a service such as Amazon Prime, Netflex, etc., your new smart TV will be able to play the content, after you sign in to your account(s).

:cheers:

A lot of providers are coming out with apps. Att, xfinity (requires only Roku) ect. As has been mentioned above I’d buy whatever with fits
The bill and plan for a separate device, either a fire stick, roku or Apple TV. That way the devices can be upgraded independently of the tv.

The “smart apps” vary across brand and operating system, so decide what apps you plan to use then pick your streaming device accordingly.

Shrike6 04-03-2020 5:51pm

I have Verizon Fios.

Dan Dlabay 04-03-2020 5:55pm

We have 2 Samsung smart tv's we bought in 2018. I just cut cable (got feed up with bad service and constant price increase) Our tv's have TVPlus on them with over 50 channels. I also bought 2 HD antennas to get the local station and it's all free.:cert: