The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   battery drain (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40081)

Chuck A 09-08-2012 8:41pm

battery drain

havent started the vert for over a month, do you guys think i will have a problem, the bikes have been almost 3 weeks, yes i will be starting all the toys tommorow, how long have you guys gone without starting your toys, the verts battery is one season old, not on tenders

Y2Kvert4me 09-08-2012 8:53pm

A month is about the limit on a C5. Yours may have enough left to start, but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Letting it run down (just from sitting) isn't good for the battery. A deep-cycle will tolerate that, a starting battery will not.
Mine goes on a tender if I know it will sit more than a week.

:cert:

Chuck A 09-08-2012 9:13pm

thanks, since working a lot and the accident i really havent had time, to enjoy.

Chuck A 09-09-2012 12:42pm

just an FYI, vert started with no problem:hurray:

Bucwheat 09-10-2012 8:40am

I had a problem with my F-350 not starting after one week,both batteries were like 1 year old. I could not figure out why it would run down in that length of time until one night I walked by the truck and saw a faint light on,the glove box light stayed on all the time,I adjusted the latch and no more problem.

Sneaks 09-11-2012 8:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucwheat (Post 758420)
I had a problem with my F-350 not starting after one week,both batteries were like 1 year old. I could not figure out why it would run down in that length of time until one night I walked by the truck and saw a faint light on,the glove box light stayed on all the time,I adjusted the latch and no more problem.

Fixed Or Repaired Daily........:D

Man In Black 12-25-2012 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 760318)
Fixed Or Repaired Daily........:D

No , Actually that is "FIX OLD RUST DAILY"

Bill 01-07-2013 10:09pm

I've rarely drive my Vettes, so I have replaced batteries maaaany times, until I got some float chargers. Problem solved. I'd recommend float chargers (like Battery Tender or the ones I got, from Harbor Freight) as a solution for any vehicle not driven frequently. Just make it a habit to put it on, even if you think you might be using it soon. If you don't.....you're good.

Bucwheat 01-08-2013 8:19am

If I don't drive mine for long periods I also use a trickle charger.

Corvette Don 01-27-2013 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucwheat (Post 855842)
If I don't drive mine for long periods I also use a trickle charger.

I Already Had A Float Charger From Harbor Freight Laying On The Garage Shelf, So This Winter I Hooked It Up To The Vette. Seems OK So Far. Anyone Have Any Experienced With This Model?
(www.tinyurl.com/Float-Charger-c42292)

Chuck A 08-10-2014 1:08pm

ok i tried starting vert it showed 8 volts but started, brand new battery car hasnt been started i a while, i am getting a charger what do you guys/gals recommend
i

Chuck A 09-07-2014 1:42pm

need pics of hooking up the trickle charger, was told to get the ctek but since the clamps wont work and the o rings wot help need to see pics of how to connect

Chuck A 09-07-2014 2:09pm

come on people no one can post a pic of the connection from a tender to a battery??? do i need to get a extension of the bolt or any hep would be appreciated:datawiz:

Norm 09-07-2014 3:58pm

Google Image is your friend.

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Chuck A 09-07-2014 4:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1237407)

yea i have done that:confused5::dance:

RonC5 09-08-2014 2:20pm

I clip the connectors of the CTEK right on the battery terminals. Never any issues.

Sneaks 09-08-2014 2:25pm

Battery Tender, clamp it right to the terminals.

Chuck A 09-08-2014 2:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 1237974)
Battery Tender, clamp it right to the terminals.

I was told to get adapters were they screw into battery and then put the o rings on and tighten them up, but no one has posted a pic of what it actually looks like on the car, but now i get it

Y2Kvert4me 09-08-2014 3:19pm

The alligator clamps clip onto the 8mm battery terminals just fine....You're overthinking this rather simple task.

If it was a higher current application then using the ring terminals with a sidepost studs might be a better idea, but definitely not needed for a trickle charger.

:cert:

Norm 09-08-2014 3:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck A (Post 1237991)
I was told to get adapters were they screw into battery and then put the o rings on and tighten them up, but no one has posted a pic of what it actually looks like on the car, but now i get it

I see no need for adaptors unless you have a closed wiring system where no contact area is present to charge or jump start. I would just clamp right to the terminals. I have a four wheeler, big 0-turn lawnmower that I use battery tenders, straight up clip to the terminals. Do my C3 the same way, have not had any issues.