The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Internet myths, gotta love 'em. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3295)

Y2Kvert4me 07-04-2010 8:26pm

Internet myths, gotta love 'em.

E-85 - Corvette Forum

I saw this one this morning, and felt bad for all the :bs: the OP was getting fed.

I'm not really an E85 advocate, but glad to see tjZ06 let loose on 'em with some facts and experience. :beat:

Around here, E85 is quite commonly used as a cheap race gas...usually on FI street cars running boost numbers well into the double digits.

I don't see much benefit to it on a n/a car, unless building something with a sky-high (14:1+) compression ratio, which certainly can be done, but then you're unfortunately limited to that fuel (or expensive race gas) 100% of the time, which is just not practical for a street car. The FI guys can always dial down the boost when high octane stuff is nowhere to be found.

:cheers:

Sneaks 07-05-2010 6:56am

I saw the title of that, and couldn't bring myself to look at it. I knew there was going to be way too much idiocy involved in that one. :leaving:

Munch 07-05-2010 7:34am

I couldn't bring myself to read that thread. I did not know E85 was used for race gas, I thought it was just a government scam on gas users to help corn farmers.

pops98 07-05-2010 8:48am

I thought the Indy Car Series use E-85 for all their cars.

Y2Kvert4me 07-05-2010 8:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 40744)
I thought it was just a government scam on gas users to help corn farmers.

Well, as a ploy to reduce our national dependence on oil, it pretty much is.

Even at $1.99/gal though, it isn't a cost-effective alternative for a typical DD car compared to regular 87 or even 91 octane. Sure it's still cheaper per gallon, but you have to burn 30% more of it.

Remember too, this E85 craze hit when pump gas prices were over $4/gallon. At that time, there was a benefit to be had, and why we see so many "flex fuel" vehicles on the road today. (My Silverado is a flex fuel truck, although I've never put E85 in it yet).

But now that pump gas prices are back to normal, that's not to say there still isn't a valid use for E85, you just have to build the setup that can take full advantage of it.
Most who mess around with it now are doing it in lieu of $6-10/gal race fuels.

Ask this same question in the FI section....you'll find more knowledgeable replies...such as this one: Corvette Forum - View Single Post - Who is running E-85?

:cheers:

Y2Kvert4me 07-05-2010 9:46am

:lol: That thread is getting uglier by the minute.

I bet it gets locked up before the day is over. :seeya:

Sneaks 07-05-2010 10:25am

Still refuse to peek it. :ack: