The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Burgess Owens Testifies to Congress about Reparations (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119597)

bill_daniels 06-19-2019 4:52pm

Burgess Owens Testifies to Congress about Reparations

I hope there was a whambulance standing by for all the triggered leftists there.

69camfrk 06-19-2019 5:58pm

If blacks would use someone like him as a role model, instead of thug rappers, and drug dealers, blacks in this country would be in a world of better shape. Crazy thing is, they will continue to vote dem, and they don't even know why.

Mike Mercury 06-19-2019 6:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1674062)
... they will continue to vote dem, and they don't even know why.

that's how a cult functions.

DAB 06-19-2019 6:45pm

so let's say payments are due.

well, the originally offended party would be the freed slave. they would have been due something. what? don't know. so let's pull a number out of the hat.

in 1865, an ounce of gold was $20 (one website http://piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/capi...es17922012.pdf says it was $18.93), but since we were minting $20 double gold eagles, we'll go with that.

skilled labor in 1865 was about $20/week https://outrunchange.com/2012/06/14/...-through-1890/

so let's say we granted a freed slave a year's wages ($1000 back then, or 50 ounces of gold) and his freedom.

fast forward to today, and an ounce of gold is at about $1360/ounce https://goldprice.org

so.... that 50 ounces of gold converts to 50 x 1360 = 68000...hmmm....pretty close to a year's wage for a skilled trade. interesting.

but..

that was for the original slave. if he had sons, and they had sons....well, that has to be accounted for as each generation would have split up the original amount, had it been paid long ago.

so let's say you, as a black man, have about 25 ancestors between you and the freed slave. well, that would divvy up things 25 ways, so you'd be owed about 2 ounces of gold in today's time. or about $2720.

time to open Fort Knox. :beggar:

Rodnok1 06-19-2019 7:46pm

I'm not sure why the country would owe the money to begin with, I wasn't aware the US itself owned slaves... If people want to go after relatives of slave owners feel free if the so choose to go that route.
Nothing but a money grab...

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 06-19-2019 10:35pm

Burgess got it!

Reparations is a scam. Why should money be taken from people who never owned slaves and given to people who were never slaves?

Sounds like a scheme cooked up by the real slavemasters, the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons who boondoggled their own race for
their own personal gain. Convinced blacks that they're helpless because Whitey's keeping them down and these so called black leaders are
the only salvation they can look to.

Asians come into this country and learn the language, get jobs or MAKE jobs and succeed all by themselves with the same opportunities that
present day blacks are FREE TO USE AS WELL, the freedom to choose a path and the freedom to work hard and succeed. All in one generation.

Broken Wind 06-20-2019 6:27am

Whites owned slaves and whites set them free. It’s a wash.

JetMechZ16 06-20-2019 6:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1674079)
I'm not sure why the country would owe the money to begin with, I wasn't aware the US itself owned slaves... If people want to go after relatives of slave owners feel free if the so choose to go that route.
Nothing but a money grab...

You think you owe on the debts of your ancestors? I neither committed the crimes nor benefitted from the money or the actions of my ancestors. I am not liable for the atrocities others commit!

By the way I don't have any slave owning ancestors.

snide 06-20-2019 8:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Wind (Post 1674100)
Whites owned slaves and whites set them free. It’s a wash.

Blacks owned slaves too. :shrug:

Rodnok1 06-20-2019 3:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 (Post 1674104)
You think you owe on the debts of your ancestors? I neither committed the crimes nor benefitted from the money or the actions of my ancestors. I am not liable for the atrocities others commit!

By the way I don't have any slave owning ancestors.

I agree that relatives of slave owners shouldn't be held responsible also, point was that would be an appropriate path for them to go after the noney not the country since the country didn't own slaves.
None of my family was in this country until the turn of the century so why should I have to pay for something I had nothing to do with personally or thru family ties.

MrPeabody 06-20-2019 3:22pm

So, some people think reparations should be paid, some don't. Here's a simple solution. Put a line on the income tax forms where people can donate any amount they want to this, on top of the taxes they owe. Whatever gets collected Congress can disburse as they see fit. Let the people who think this money is owed put their money where their mouth is.

snide 06-20-2019 4:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1674162)
I agree that relatives of slave owners shouldn't be held responsible also, point was that would be an appropriate path for them to go after the noney not the country since the country didn't own slaves.
None of my family was in this country until the turn of the century so why should I have to pay for something I had nothing to do with personally or thru family ties.

Which century? I too moved to this country before the turn of the century... Why should I have to pay for something that happened over 150 years ago? :confused5:

69camfrk 06-20-2019 4:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1674169)
Which century? I too moved to this country before the turn of the century... Why should I have to pay for something that happened over 150 years ago? :confused5:

Becuz you be white! You racist slave owner!!!:leaving:

snide 06-20-2019 4:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1674176)
Becuz you be white! You racist slave owner!!!:leaving:

Somebody's gotta pick my cotton. Would you rather I have illegals? :bigears:

69camfrk 06-20-2019 4:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1674178)
Somebody's gotta pick my cotton. Would you rather I have illegals? :bigears:

You know they have machines for that now right? :D I've seen it with my own eyes!:rofl:

markids77 06-20-2019 7:22pm

Asians come into this country and learn the language, get jobs or MAKE jobs and succeed all by themselves with the same opportunities that
present day blacks are FREE TO USE AS WELL, the freedom to choose a path and the freedom to work hard and succeed. All in one generation.[/QUOTE]

And the Irish, and the Italians, and the Poles, and the Slavs and the Chinese, and the Hebrews, and the... well you get the idea.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 06-20-2019 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1674201)
present day blacks are FREE TO USE AS WELL, the freedom to choose a path and the freedom to work hard and succeed. All in one generation.

And the Irish, and the Italians, and the Poles, and the Slavs and the Chinese, and the Hebrews, and the... well you get the idea.[/QUOTE]

:seasix:
Yes, of course. I just used Asians as an example against people who grow up
in the midst of all this freedom but never take advantage of it and live as victims
in a voluntary form of slavery to their so called leaders.

C5SilverBullet 06-22-2019 9:44am

I don't remember where I saw/heard it, but it said that reparations were paid by 620,000 Union soldiers who died in battle.

JRD77VET 06-22-2019 7:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet (Post 1674343)
I don't remember where I saw/heard it, but it said that reparations were paid by 620,000 Union soldiers who died in battle.

:iagree:

tell those "fine folks" looking for a handout the debt has been paid in full :yesnod: