The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Heated Spigot Covers (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135929)

Stangkiller 01-19-2024 11:04am

Heated Spigot Covers

Having survived the last hard freeze and another coming tonight. My two outdoor spigots that I cannot shut off froze during the last freeze, I was able to thaw them several times before any damage was done.

I've searched and searched but I don't see any pre-made plug in style heated Faucet covers. Does anybody make one? I'm sure I can make my own, but most of the heat tapes require direct contact with the plumbing, which means installing and uninstalling will be a pain in the ass.

Before I go build a big ass box that has 10 feet of heat tape zig zagging inside of it, I wanted to see if y'all have any recommendations/ experience?

These two faucets will require cutting drywall inside my house if I wanted to add a cut off and drain, so I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Big bob 01-19-2024 11:06am

Go buy cheap heating pads.:seasix: make sure it does not have auto shut off.:leaving:

https://www.dollargeneral.com/p/cona...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Onebadcad 01-19-2024 11:17am

Yet another reason FLORIDA is the best!!

Rodnok1 01-19-2024 11:24am

Buy hand warmers (the little disposable ones) for a couple of bucks and put one inside of faucet covers.

Bill 01-19-2024 11:26am

1 Attachment(s)
I used the black pipe insulation, and then used a larger diameter of pipe insulation wrap over that, then wrapped old rags around the spigot and horizontal line going into the house
I wrapped all that in an old comforter, then covered the whole thing with a thick contractor garbage bag to keep it dry and out of the wind.

Aero used the heat tape, under the pipe wrap, which also seems like a good idea. And now that you know where your weak points are, run those adjacent inside taps periodically through the night.

I suspect that's a lot easier than going outside with a hair dryer or heat gun to thaw the exterior piping.

Unsuspicious 01-19-2024 11:26am

Surely there's exposed pipe somewhere far enough upstream to stick in a valve

BayouCountry 01-19-2024 11:28am

I leave my outside faucets running during the arctic blast. Otherwise, the cover is on. I would think you could use heat cable inside the cover if running the water is not an option.

The only other thing I can think of would be to install an antifreeze spigot, but that also takes getting inside the wall.

Big bob 01-19-2024 11:30am

Never leave your hose hooked up it can back freeze. :sadangel:

Bill 01-19-2024 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsuspicious (Post 2203945)
Surely there's exposed pipe somewhere far enough upstream to stick in a valve

The pipe from our outdoor faucets goes into the walls, not exposed anywhere, except possibly in the attic, and by the time you get to the attic, a cut off valve isn't really going to help. The better solution is to keep the water in the short bit of exposed pipe before it enters the wall, warm.

Thus our solutions of heavily insulating it, and heating it.

I wouldn't want to cut open sheetrock to install cut off valves, either. It would be easier to simply turn off the water and drain the pipes, but that's not really an option for a family with young kids to be without water.

Aerovette 01-19-2024 11:34am

How about combining this...

https://www.amazon.com/lollyes-Outdo...4465e04e148fe6

With this...

https://www.amazon.com/marinexplore-...96&sr=1-8&th=1

Unsuspicious 01-19-2024 11:35am

But it's not a tough job of cutting and patching drywall, you would just cut out the drywall but then slap on an access panel, no patching involved. Stupid simple unless you're simple and stupid. :leaving:

6spdC6 01-19-2024 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayouCountry (Post 2203947)
I leave my outside faucets running during the arctic blast. Otherwise, the cover is on. I would think you could use heat cable inside the cover if running the water is not an option.

The only other thing I can think of would be to install an antifreeze spigot, but that also takes getting inside the wall.

Should have been done that way to begin with. Talking pennies here when the instillation was being done. Either that or the old fashioned inside shut off valve. My houses freeze proof spigots (2) have worked fine at -25F in the mountains up here. I always use the 12" or 14''

When working I have installed a few dozen of those outside rated spigots!

GTOguy 01-19-2024 11:45am

ICNLT

Jughead 01-19-2024 11:59am

I have a similar situation. I been thinking of this.

https://www.amazon.com/9FT-Protectio...7&sr=8-13&th=1

04 commemorative 01-19-2024 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsuspicious (Post 2203954)
But it's not a tough job of cutting and patching drywall, you would just cut out the drywall but then slap on an access panel, no patching involved. Stupid simple unless you're simple and stupid. :leaving:

:iagree: except for the rude part.:seasix:

Stangkiller 01-19-2024 1:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 2203953)

That birdbath is interesting thought...but would it burn up if it were used in insulation not submerged in water?

Stangkiller 01-19-2024 1:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsuspicious (Post 2203954)

Yes stupid and simple if you don't care about how it looks. One of these is in the laundry room the other my office. Both places we're likely installing built in's. I will make an access panel work if it's my last resort. But we get 1 or 2 hard freezes a year, I think there's likely a simpler solution here. I'm just surprised there isn't one sold.

Bruze 01-19-2024 1:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 2203952)
The pipe from our outdoor faucets goes into the walls, not exposed anywhere, except possibly in the attic, and by the time you get to the attic, a cut off valve isn't really going to help. The better solution is to keep the water in the short bit of exposed pipe before it enters the wall, warm.

Thus our solutions of heavily insulating it, and heating it.

I wouldn't want to cut open sheetrock to install cut off valves, either. It would be easier to simply turn off the water and drain the pipes, but that's not really an option for a family with young kids to be without water.

If you can find any incandescent light bulbs, they are a good heat source for something like this, although you would have to cover it somehow to hold the heat around the spigot.

I used to have a covered well pit that held the pump and pressure tank. During the coldest months I left a light bulb on next to the pump, never had a freezing problem.

Kevin68 01-19-2024 1:51pm

I wrap 1/2 string of incandescent mini Christmas lights around the spigot and exposed pipe, then put the cover over it or wrap it in a towel. Bonus is it is easy to see if it is working. I always wonder if the wire heaters are working.

During the 2021 snowstorm, we were below freezing for 100 hours or more going as low as 6*. I pushed a kitchen thermometer between the stone and cover's foam and consistently got 65-70*.

Aerovette 01-19-2024 1:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 2204034)
That birdbath is interesting thought...but would it burn up if it were used in insulation not submerged in water?

For ten bucks, I'd buy one and plug it in on the garage floor and see if it warms or burns up. It does not give a range, but says it is thermostat controlled. I image that without water, it would just cycle more often because it reaches temp sooner.