The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Island14 (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58766)

jaxgator 11-06-2013 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1065493)
Geez Tim stay safe! My biggest concern would be the storm surge. The fact the storm is speeding it is a good thing, that could mean less time under those damaging winds!

:iagree: I'd really be worried about the storm surge as well. Do you have access to a boat? Have life preservers? Can you get to higher ground?

I'll be praying for you and your family Tim.

island14 11-06-2013 1:22pm

Quote:

HAIYAN approaching Super Typhoon (STY) status as it rapidly gained strength due to the emergence of a pinhole-sized eye a few hours ago...now poses a serious threat to Eastern Visayas and Northeastern Mindanao. The initial potential landfall area of this typhoon remains along the Samar-Leyte Area on Friday morning, November 08.

This typhoon is similar in track and strength of Super Typhoon MIKE (RUPING) which passed across the Visayas in November of 1991 and devastated much of Metro Cebu. Residents living along the eastern seaboards of the Philippines from Northern Quezon...Bicol Region...down to Northeastern Mindanao should closely monitor the approach of this potentially destructive typhoon. Plans for emergency situations and/or disaster management planning must be implemented beginning today as the storm is only 3 days away from hitting land.

Meanwhile, Tropical Depression 30W (WILMA) has accelerated and is approaching the coast of Southern Vietnam. As of 5:00 am today, its center was estimated about 385 km ESE of Nha Trang, Vietnam (near 11.8N 112.7E). With maximum winds of 55 kph near the center and was moving westward at 31 kph in the general direction of Southern Vietnam.

Residents and visitors along Northeastern Mindanao, Visayas, Bicol Region and Eastern Luzon should closely monitor the development of Haiyan.

Do not use this for life or death decisions. This update is intended for additional information purposes only. Kindly refer to your national weather agency for official warnings, advisories or bulletins.

http://weather.com.ph/announcements/...ate-number-004
No one that I know of from here in our village went fishing tonight, some brought their small boats ashore, but some also left them at anchor.....

I kinda think tomorrow will be the real problem, not tonight. :island14:

Meanwhile the electric will go out, I just don't know when.

When it does I will move the computer, TV, and everything else that can become water damaged down stairs to help protect it.

simpleman68 11-06-2013 1:29pm

I know it's not your first rodeo with nasty stuff blowing into town.

Stay safe brutha :cert:
Scott

dwjz06 11-06-2013 1:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 1065545)
No one that I know of from here in our village went fishing tonight, some brought their small boats ashore, but some also left them at anchor.....

I kinda think tomorrow will be the real problem, not tonight. :island14:

Meanwhile the electric will go out, I just don't know when.

When it does I will move the computer, TV, and everything else that can become water damaged down stairs to help protect it.

Man. Can you fly the family out before the spit hits the fan? Anywhere else safe to go to? :cert:

island14 11-06-2013 1:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1065493)
Geez Tim stay safe! My biggest concern would be the storm surge. The fact the storm is speeding it is a good thing, that could mean less time under those damaging winds!

Never thought of it that way, but you are right..

The faster it comes.. the faster it is over.. :yesnod: :seasix:

island14 11-06-2013 1:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXBUDXx (Post 1065496)
I'm worried for you guys. From what I've read, this is a mofo of a storm.

Is there somewhere you can evacuate to (higher ground)?

I'm thinking higher is more up in the wind? :island14:

I am worried also, not much for me, but for my family.

xXBUDXx 11-06-2013 1:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 1065556)
I'm thinking higher is more up in the wind? :island14:

I am worried also, not much for me, but for my family.

My thoughts were to avoid the storm surge. :confused5:

Any possibility of getting up to the northern part of the country?

Hoog 11-06-2013 1:58pm

Man, I am really hoping the best for you, your family and friends. Wind is bad....rising water is much worse. Looking at that last plot it looks as if the eye will pass north of you and that is a very good thing for lessening wind and storm surge impact.

Hang in there bro....

island14 11-06-2013 1:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwjz06 (Post 1065553)
Man. Can you fly the family out before the spit hits the fan? Anywhere else safe to go to? :cert:

To get to an airport, we would have to go to the main island first by boat...

Not an option at this time... :lol:

island14 11-06-2013 2:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXBUDXx (Post 1065560)
My thoughts were to avoid the storm surge. :confused5:

Any possibility of getting up to the northern part of the country?

I have mixed thoughts on that, higher up means more up in the air.

I'm not worried about flooding as the sea will take up all the rains here.

Back a bit into the village would offer some blocking protection from the wind...

No hills nearby so no landslide problems..

I have been trying to think of a safer place to send the wife and kids but have no better plan yet than our guest house.

The last time I woke to the roof flapping in the wind, and saved it with the help of my brother in law... and some rope.

But that was a small one, and we are much more well tied down now than before.

CubSmurf 11-06-2013 2:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 1065571)

Back a bit into the village would offer some blocking protection from the wind...

I have been trying to think of a safer place to send the wife and kids but have no better plan yet than our guest house.

The last time I woke to the roof flapping in the wind, and saved it with the help of my brother in law... and some rope.

Prayers for you, your family and your whole community. Stay safe!

Stangkiller 11-06-2013 2:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 1065571)

It's the storm surge I'm concerned about, not the rain. The storm will bring in a high tide of likely 12'+, (just a guess). Galveston took on a 20' storm surge from IKE, a few years back. You will get some protection from the surrounding islands.

I can't find any estimates other than: "Haiyan will also produce a severe and inundating storm surge, especially along the eastern coast of southern Luzon and Samar islands.
Residents are urged to take the necessary precautions now ahead of Haiyan's approach and heed all evacuation orders issued by local officials."

Torqaholic 11-06-2013 3:56pm

This is the only tracking service I've been using since forever to track these things. Check it out, it's very useful.

After clicking the storm icon on the front page map you can view the image of the storm through a variety of filters listed across the top of the page and even see an animation in a variety size resolutions.

CIMSS Tropical Cyclones

Torqaholic 11-06-2013 4:27pm

What about heading to the Southern end of the island by vehicle? San Jose is the provincial capitol and has some very sturdy buildings. Winds will only be about half as strong there by the looks of the predictions.

boracayjohnny 11-06-2013 5:18pm

Tim, I hope all works out well for you and your family.

OddBall 11-06-2013 8:46pm

Damn, Tim. Looking at the storm tracking map, The eye of that thing is aimed right at you! Stay safe man. :angel:

Bingo Fuel 11-06-2013 8:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracayjohnny (Post 1065686)
Tim, I hope all works out well for you and your family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1065916)
Damn, Tim. Looking at the storm tracking map, The eye of that thing is aimed right at you! Stay safe man. :angel:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Get off the beach and head for higher ground. :cert:

JRD77VET 11-06-2013 9:00pm

Good luck :angel:

Torqaholic 11-06-2013 9:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1065916)

Appears the prediction has been adjusted from 48 hours ago. The eye is now expected to track directly over the North end of the island. Hope they evacuated.

MEANZ06 11-06-2013 11:26pm

Stay safe my friend! :cert: