The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Non cash use fee..... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129694)

04 commemorative 09-23-2022 12:56pm

Non cash use fee.....

When businesses open up and take credit cards along with cash as payment they agreed up front to pay the fee associated with the credit card use. Same with debit cards.......fast forward to "covid" ....businesses didn't want to touch cash because depending on what day it was the covid cooties were transmitted in various ways.
Don't you think it's wrong to charge this fee when it's considered to be a "cost of business" expense ?

Old Ben 09-23-2022 1:00pm

I think there should be a discount for cash.

Rodnok1 09-23-2022 1:08pm

Credit card fees cost businesses alot of money... American express is the highest IIRC.

04 commemorative 09-23-2022 1:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1992488)
Credit card fees cost businesses alot of money... American express is the highest IIRC.

Then the other option is to be a cash only business ....I have gone to restaurants that will not accept Amex for that reason. When I was a partner in the company we did take credit cards.....rare it was but when we did we paid the fee.

Stangkiller 09-23-2022 2:21pm

At this point cash may be more expensive for a business to receive. It’s more likely to be stolen/lost, then has to be deposited to the bank in order to make any bill payments.

Patsgarage 09-23-2022 5:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLEXjs (Post 1992513)
It's been common here in Canada for certain venues to not accept credit cards or to add fees for their usage.

I remember for many many years Costco and Grocery Stores would not accept credit cards. They finally do now but I am guessing they must have some special arrangement where they pay lower fees than restaurants, retail, and other higher margin businesses.

Most convenience stores here will not accept credit cards and will even add a nominal amount for debit cards for sales under a certain value.

Years ago we bought all new appliances and I really beat them up on price and got a good deal, provided we paid cash. We paid 80% in store cash (debit) and I held back 20% until delivery. We had no choice but to pay that balance on delivery via credit card so we had to add back 2.5% on the 20% balance.

There's nothing forcing any business to accept credit cards. They usually do because it means more sales, but they sacrifice 2-3% profit. For some businesses, like grocery stores, that 3% can be a significant amount of their net profit.

As long as they are up front about their policies I see nothing wrong with it.

Cash is King.

No cash at Costco ? Heck I would just rob every person going in the store, they would have to have at least $300 on them. Even in Canadian dollars that would be enough for 1/2 tank of gas.

dvarapala 09-23-2022 5:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLEXjs (Post 1992513)
There's nothing forcing any business to accept credit cards. They usually do because it means more sales, but they sacrifice 2-3% profit.

Actually they simply jack up all their prices by 3% to cover the processing fees, In effect the people who pay cash are subsidizing the people who use credit cards. This is why I always pay with a credit card, pay it off in full every month, and collect all the cash back rewards. :yesnod:

Grey Ghost 09-23-2022 6:04pm

I don't know if the rest. or biz is actually making a profit from CC?

I know they pay a fee to whatever company processes the CC transactions.

04 commemorative 09-23-2022 6:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1992607)
I always pay with a credit card, pay it off in full every month, and collect all the cash back rewards. :yesnod:

:iagree:

99 pewtercoupe 09-23-2022 7:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1992607)
Actually they simply jack up all their prices by 3% to cover the processing fees, In effect the people who pay cash are subsidizing the people who use credit cards. This is why I always pay with a credit card, pay it off in full every month, and collect all the cash back rewards. :yesnod:

This. About the only thing I use cash for is tips for various service workers where the tip is usually just a couple of bucks

MadInNc 09-23-2022 8:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1992648)
This. About the only thing I use cash for is tips to Porter and various service workers where the tip is usually just a couple of bucks

Cheapo……

Yadkin 09-23-2022 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1992512)
At this point cash may be more expensive for a business to receive. It’s more likely to be stolen/lost, then has to be deposited to the bank in order to make any bill payments.

This. The average credit card rate to a business is less than about 4%
Try and match that with cash transactions: taking to the bank, cashier's time, loss percentage...

Frankie the Fink 09-24-2022 5:44am

I have boat mechanics, tree trimmers, pressure wash guys, pest control people, etc.. that routinely work around my house; none of them balk at cash, all of them give me a discount for it....

With 87,000 new IRS agents and this adminstration wanting to track every $600 transaction I think cash will be around for a LONG time...

04 commemorative 09-24-2022 7:51am

If for instance every diner raised the price of everything by ten cents,I bet hardly anyone would blink an eye and not bitch.....they would probably make more then with the charge that upsets most people.

04 commemorative 09-24-2022 8:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by StorytellerStealth (Post 1992778)
The last few years have seen several businesses that do not accept cash credit or debit cards only. Mostly in food coffee shop type businesses cuts out employee cash theft.

:confused5:

mrvette 09-24-2022 8:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1992782)
:confused5:

Plastic money spends SO easy.......:seasix:

Yadkin 09-24-2022 8:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by StorytellerStealth (Post 1992778)
The last few years have seen several businesses that do not accept cash credit or debit cards only. Mostly in food coffee shop type businesses cuts out employee cash theft.

This. All a waiter has to do is not go to the cash register. Pocket the cash, thank the customer and reset the table.

GTOguy 09-24-2022 10:20am

Do you think the waiter drives a big block?

dvarapala 09-24-2022 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1992755)
With 87,000 new IRS agents and this adminstration wanting to track every $600 transaction I think cash will be around for a LONG time...

Don't bet on that.

Governments around the world are working hard to introduce digital currencies controlled by their respective central banks. When paper money is replaced by a digital currency every single transaction, no matter how small, is automatically tracked and logged. Governments are creaming their jeans over that kind of control. :yesnod: