The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Garage Door Opener (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122195)

RonC5 04-03-2020 12:25pm

Garage Door Opener

Was time for a new one, ended up going with a Lift Master 8500. It is a side mount (jack shaft). Man is this thing quiet. Auto lock bolt, wifi so I can open the door from my phone and most important here in FL, battery back up. Plus, it is out of the way for the planned 4 post lift. I highly recommend it.

Mike Mercury 04-03-2020 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 1749196)
Lift Master

can't go wrong there. :thumbs:

DAB 04-03-2020 12:56pm

in a pinch, honk your horn 3 times and have Wifey open it for you. :leaving:

Vandelay Industries 04-03-2020 1:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1749199)
in a pinch, honk your horn 3 times and have Wifey open it for you. :leaving:

Automatic Motorcycle Garage Door Opener - YouTube

And interrupt her sandwich making? :slap:

DAB 04-03-2020 1:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries (Post 1749203)
And interrupt her sandwich making? :slap:

a properly trained one would know your schedule, and would be patiently waiting just inside for the beep, and the sammich would already be made and cut in two and placed on a plate with chips and pickle spear waiting for you inside. :slap::slap: c'mon man....

Vandelay Industries 04-03-2020 1:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1749205)
a properly trained one would know your schedule, and would be patiently waiting just inside for the beep, and the sammich would already be made and cut in two and placed on a plate with chips and pickle spear waiting for you inside. :slap::slap: c'mon man....

I'm not a good trainer :sad:

https://media3.giphy.com/media/EYmAHLpw5LBbG/source.gif

Datawiz 04-03-2020 1:49pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Was time for a new one, ended up going with a Lift Master 8500. It is a side mount (jack shaft). Man is this thing quiet. Auto lock bolt, wifi so I can open the door from my phone and most important here in FL, battery back up. Plus, it is out of the way for the planned 4 post lift. I highly recommend it.

I did the exact same thing for the exact same reason. When my C8 arrives, I will be getting a 4-post lift to stack the 2 C6Z's. :yesnod:

Cybercowboy 04-03-2020 2:03pm

I'll definitely be looking at one like that when my opener finally craps out. 23 years old currently.

Datawiz 04-03-2020 2:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1749214)
I'll definitely be looking at one like that when my opener finally craps out. 23 years old currently.

I regret not installing one on the 2-car portion of our 3-car garage. The NOISE is so much less than the traditional opener. The old one still works, so I didn't replace it. When all this COVID shit settles down, I'll swap it out as well. :yesnod:

z06psi 04-03-2020 2:29pm

Had that included in the house when constructed. Also the left hand bay is cathedral for the lift.

Builder had a hell of a time when the engineer drew the cathedral wrong.

04 commemorative 04-03-2020 3:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1749205)

and naked or at least topless:seasix:

RonC5 04-03-2020 3:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1749215)
I regret not installing one on the 2-car portion of our 3-car garage. The NOISE is so much less than the traditional opener. The old one still works, so I didn't replace it. When all this COVID shit settles down, I'll swap it out as well. :yesnod:

I was shocked at how much quieter this thing is. Being tucked up in the corner out of the way is huge as well.

MadInNc 04-03-2020 3:51pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1749211)
I did the exact same thing for the exact same reason. When my C8 arrives, I will be getting a 4-post lift to stack the 2 C6Z's. :yesnod:

Question for both of ya, since you are getting a lift.

When installers were out, did you have garage door raised in UP position closer to ceiling?

If not that will now be your limiting height when ya get the lift....:yesnod:

Mike Mercury 04-03-2020 4:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1749199)
honk your horn 3 times and have Wifey
shoot at you.

fixt

RonC5 04-03-2020 4:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 1749262)

When installers were out, did you have garage door raised in UP position closer to ceiling?

I only have a 8.5 foot ceiling, so I need to put a tray ceiling in the front half of the garage. When I tear out the ceiling to raise it, I will do all of the electrical as well as putting a larger radius door track to get it closer to the ceiling. My clearance is less than foot right now.

Datawiz 04-03-2020 6:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 1749262)

Shorty 4-post lift. You control the height with the lift. My garage is so deep that the garage door is not an issue. The old opener would have been, but not anymore. Mathematically, both C6Z's will fit just fine. I have to move 1 cabinet from the right side of the garage to the left. Lift will be in the back, far from the garage.

Black94lt1 04-03-2020 6:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 1749306)
I only have a 8.5 foot ceiling, so I need to put a tray ceiling in the front half of the garage. When I tear out the ceiling to raise it, I will do all of the electrical as well as putting a larger radius door track to get it closer to the ceiling. My clearance is less than foot right now.

You don’t really need larger radius, you just need to move the existing arched portions closer to the ceiling, add straight sections in between