The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   blood test predicts whether you'll die in next 10 years (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120074)

Mike Mercury 08-21-2019 9:16am

blood test predicts whether you'll die in next 10 years

Scientists from the Max Planck Institute for Biology of Ageing have developed a new blood test that can predict whether you’ll die within the next 10 years

While it’s not exactly the most cheerful thought for a Wednesday morning, one day, all of us will die.

But if you could find out exactly when you'll die, would you want to know?

Scientists from the Max Planck Institute for Biology of Ageing have developed a new blood test that can predict whether you’ll die within the next 10 years.

The test relies on biomarkers in the blood linked to various factors that appear to affect your risk of death.

To develop the test, the researchers analysed 44,168 participants aged 18 to 109 - 5,512 of who died during follow-up.

An analysis of the participants’ blood revealed 14 biomarkers that were associated with an increased risk of death.

These biomarkers were linked to various factors, including immunity, circulating fat, inflammation and glucose control.

This suggests that in the future, a sample of your blood could be analysed for the presence of these biomarkers, to indicate when you’ll die.

In the study, published in Nature Communications , the researchers, led by Joris Deelen, explained: “We subsequently show that the prediction accuracy of 5- and 10-year mortality based on a model containing the identified biomarkers and sex is better than that of a model containing conventional risk factors for mortality.”

The researchers highlight that further research is needed before a clinical test is available, and this is backed up by experts not involved in the study.

Dr Amanda Heslegrave, a researcher at the UK Dementia Research Institute, said: “Whilst this study shows that this type of profiling can be useful, they do point out importantly that it would need further work to develop a score at the individual level that would be useful in real life situations.

“We’d need to see: validation to ensure repeatability in different labs, production of reference samples to test this on an ongoing basis, work to make the individual score possible, validation in other cohorts and validation of all components of the panel.

“So, it’s an exciting step, but it’s not ready yet.”

https://i.imgflip.com/2gt844.jpg

Loco Vette 08-21-2019 9:58am

Health and life insurance companies are gonna love this if it becomes a reality.

Mike Mercury 08-21-2019 10:12am

If I had this test done, the results would say:

"call the morgue; patient already dead".

Barn Babe 08-21-2019 10:25am

Oddly, I just got my blood work results about 2 hours ago. Aside from being low in vitamin D, y'all are stuck with me for a while. :yesnod:

snide 08-21-2019 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barn Babe (Post 1681400)
Oddly, I just got my blood work results about 2 hours ago. Aside from being low in vitamin D, y'all are stuck with me for a while. :yesnod:

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Lakota 08-21-2019 10:42am

If you reach 65 years old , you reached a milestone, according to actuary tables.
If male you'll die a few months before your 84 birthday.
If female you'll die a few months before your 88 birthday.

I'm down to 12 years of life.:shots:

Mike Mercury 08-21-2019 10:42am

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d3/88...5c14690de0.jpg

DAB 08-21-2019 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakota (Post 1681402)
If you reach 65 years old , you reached a milestone, according to actuary tables.
If male you'll die a few months before your 84 birthday.
If female you'll die a few months before your 88 birthday.

I'm down to 12 years of life.:shots:

84-56=28.

dad just turned 82 this year. men in our family are not known for turning 90+.

:DAB:

got the house vacuuming done this AM. cleaned the ceiling fan blades too (did that first, lots of dust fell off that needed to be vacuumed up).

Aerovette 08-21-2019 11:14am

I call BS. I took this test back in 2009 and

mrvette 08-21-2019 2:22pm

Quote:

UMMMM.....been admirin you pix there fer a while, don't tell my wife......

:dance::kimblair:

Wathen1955 08-21-2019 7:18pm

Quote:

Same here - low on D, but that test was done 3 years ago. I record a low of 23. They want 30 minimum. Last checkup, I'm at 47. :)

I started to eat more yogurt, and started to drink more milk. Seems to work. Also spending a few more hours outside getting some sun, but no more that 15 minutes. Since most work indoors, the low D is no surprise.

MrPeabody 08-21-2019 7:32pm

My family doctor, who is an internist, runs all the data from my bloodwork and other stats through several computer algorithms which then returns info on my future health risks then she makes recommendations on how to minimize those risks. I don't think this is really brand new technology, but I'm sure it's evolving all the time.

Or as my dad used to say, why go to a doctor? They will tell me to lose weight, quit drinking and quit smoking. I already know that.:leaving:

In a matter of months, I will have lived longer than my dad. When he was my age, he had been battling cancer for over five years.