The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New new painting (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120245)

SnikPlosskin 09-11-2019 8:46pm

New new painting

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure where this one is going.

BADRACR1 09-11-2019 8:54pm

I never could draw people. Ships, planes, and cars but no peeps.

NEED-A-VETTE 09-11-2019 9:09pm

Looking good. :cheers:

I always had the most trouble getting hands and fabric correct. They were my nemesis. :funny:

I found my charcoals. Just practice drawings from art class but I’m going to frame them up. I’ll take some pics after they’re hung.

mrvette 09-12-2019 5:33am

Wife into jewelry making class, brings home some nice looking stuff, one is a very large 3 strand necklace looks like blue-green sea shell shapes on it....neat and unusual.....

She just mentioned looking into some sort of art class too.....

:)

dvarapala 09-12-2019 8:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1683266)
Not sure where this one is going.

Remind her not to fly too close to the sun. :yesnod:

SubZero 09-12-2019 6:36pm

good, at least I don't have to look at her potato face in this one.:cert::leaving:

SnikPlosskin 09-12-2019 8:16pm

1 Attachment(s)
This is the point where paintings die. But I’ll keep messing with it until something happens or I paint over it.

markids77 09-12-2019 8:19pm

Wow. A fallen ballerina angel with her testicles tucked between her legs in a post apocalyptic landscape. Don't let Mel Gibson see this.

SnikPlosskin 09-12-2019 8:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1683354)
Wow. A fallen ballerina angel with her testicles tucked between her legs in a post apocalyptic landscape. Don't let Mel Gibson see this.

That’s a gap. Needs orange.

I didn’t think of post apocalyptic. Hmm. I just didn’t have any ideas yet to fill in the ground. I see also it looks like a mushroom cloud.

It will change a lot as I continue to add layers. This is called an “underpainting” the base of paint that almost acts like a primer.

It also allows me to scrape off paint and reveal colors and random patterns later on. I go after it with a hand plane cheese grater thing.

I may have destroyed this one. I have another shot of that model that looks better.

SnikPlosskin 09-14-2019 2:07pm

1 Attachment(s)
Oof. This one is going down the toilet. I’ve done nothing on the figure. Working on background. What is the meaning of this? None.

markids77 09-14-2019 7:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1683356)
That’s a gap. Needs orange.

I didn’t think of post apocalyptic. Hmm. I just didn’t have any ideas yet to fill in the ground. I see also it looks like a mushroom cloud.

It will change a lot as I continue to add layers. This is called an “underpainting” the base of paint that almost acts like a primer.

It also allows me to scrape off paint and reveal colors and random patterns later on. I go after it with a hand plane cheese grater thing.

I may have destroyed this one. I have another shot of that model that looks better.

No worries Pete. My post was a Scotch fueled attempt at humor and was not intended as a knock of your talent or intent. I must however say that the latest iteration may not be an improvement over the earlier versions. :leaving:

SnikPlosskin 09-14-2019 9:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1683509)
No worries Pete. My post was a Scotch fueled attempt at humor and was not intended as a knock of your talent or intent. I must however say that the latest iteration may not be an improvement over the earlier versions. :leaving:

I liked the idea. It’s looking even crazier now. I’ll have new pics tomorrow. I have an idea that will blow it wide open. Do you see the gap now?

markids77 09-15-2019 8:19am

Gap is coming through loud and clear. Looking forward to the next iteration.

SnikPlosskin 09-15-2019 10:20am

1 Attachment(s)
Here is where I’m starting today.

SnikPlosskin 09-15-2019 1:40pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmm...I’m doing this in between coats of lacquer on another project.

I need to knock back that tree or tentacles or whatever the hell it is. I wanted a creepy shape that echos where the wings come together.

I’m also noticing the entire think echos the shape of the wings and body. Just painting from the gut.

Looks like a bad tattoo

Nox 09-15-2019 2:01pm

Man butt. Needs more curve.

SnikPlosskin 09-15-2019 2:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1683574)
Man butt. Needs more curve.

Have not started on body. I will promise a luscious butt.

SnikPlosskin 09-15-2019 2:53pm

I was thinking of the man butt comment (she does have a man butt) and it got me thinking that I’ve figured out to get the basic contours first, then get the background going. I let it overlap the outline of the subject, then paint over it again later when it’s time to finish the body.

This has turned out to be harder than I thought. When I get to that part of the painting, I’ll be studying that butt very closely. And the spine, ribs, arms, hands, gap, etc. I eyeball the shapes and shadows but it does get distorted.

I’m a friggin amateur at this stuff but learning fast. Need to work on some other stuff though. Door panels for car, Enterprise, new guitar design (I’m working on a custom Tele).

But this feels good. This painting is compositionally weak and cheesy. Even after all these hours working it, there is a good chance it will get painted over or turn into a totally different painting. I think that’s the fun. There is risk every time you touch it. Risk that you will do something that ruins it. Ideas come only from working it. I don’t have any ideas going in.

One thing I’ve been doing is putting paint on with my fingers, letting it set a bit then wiping HARD with a cloth. That’s how that fire texture came about. I also scrape it hard with a metal spatchula and spray it with windex to further smear and blend.

But that butt will be glorious when I’m done. Or there will be no butts at all. Who knows?

SnikPlosskin 09-15-2019 8:40pm

1 Attachment(s)
OK. I’ve killed it. I’ll be wiping this one and doing a new one with different model and concept. Learned a lot of cool techniques on this one.

SnikPlosskin 09-15-2019 8:55pm

1 Attachment(s)
Wait! Look what happens when you crop it!