The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Traction Control problems (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11806)

skips2002 04-06-2011 8:37pm

Traction Control problems

I am getting service messages on the computer display for the Traction Control System. It affects the Antilock Brake System and the Cruise Control System. I am looking for possible causes and solutions to the problem.

03SlowZ06 04-07-2011 8:49am

Check the DIC and post up the codes you are getting.

skips2002 04-07-2011 8:01pm

Traction Control Problems

The DIC code is C1287!

Munch 04-07-2011 8:48pm

That would be the steering sensor. Possibly you need an alignment or else your sensor is going bad.

Is the steering wheel straight while driving straight down the road? If it is then the sensor may be to blame.

Here is how to check the sensor courtesy of Bill Curlee:

Quote:

The sensor inside the drivers foot well at the base of the steering column and has FOUR wires:

There connected to pins 1, 2, 5 & 6 on the sensor.

Pin 1 is GRY and it will have a 5 VDC (4.9) reference sig from the EBCM. It also feeds the YAW rate sensor and the lateral rate sensor. i would also check for the voltage there. It is also a GRY wire.

Pin 2 is ORN/BLK and it will have a LOW REFF (sensor ground) Sig. It also goes to the YAW and lateral sensors as the same color wires.

Pin 5 is the Steering wheel position sensor signal phase A. It goes directly to the EBCM Lite green wire

Pin 6 is the Steering wheel position sensor signal phase B. It goes directly to the EBCM Lite Blue wire

If you disconnect the sensor plug, you should read (if i read the procedure correctly) .2 VDC on pin 5 & 6

Read the 5 VDC ref voltage to the Low reff pin 2, orange/blk wire should see 5 VDC. if you measure the low reff pin to ground it should not read any higher than 5 ohms.

If it were me,, I would hook up a jumper wire to pin #1 0n the sensor and when the steering wheel is straight, you should see The same output on pins 5 & 6. As you turn the wheel all the way right and left, you should see one pins voltage smoothly increase while the other one smoothly decreases.

Hope this helps.

BC

skips2002 04-08-2011 1:58pm

Traction Control Problems

Hey thanks for the info, I will check this out.

Tulsa Vette Guy 04-09-2011 4:05pm

I had the same problem, after resetting the DIC, no more problems.

Marmaduke 05-27-2013 1:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 229724)
That would be the steering sensor. Possibly you need an alignment or else your sensor is going bad.

Is the steering wheel straight while driving straight down the road? If it is then the sensor may be to blame.

Here is how to check the sensor courtesy of Bill Curlee:

Not to rain on your quest to solve you code problem, but if it's the Steering Position Sensor you may have problems finding one. I have a 99 C5 with the same problem and GM has discontinued (doesn't make em anymore) the 99-00 "Steering Position/Control Sensor". So far there just aren't any available. . . . . .

Marmaduke 07-18-2013 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by skips2002 (Post 228443)
I am getting service messages on the computer display for the Traction Control System. It affects the Antilock Brake System and the Cruise Control System. I am looking for possible causes and solutions to the problem.

I'm having the same problem with my 1999 C5 . . . . it's the "Steering Wheel Position Sensor" located on the bottom end of the steering column under the dash.

GM no longer manufactures the sensor (well, actually Bosh manufactures them. GM and Bosh have had a falling out, so Bosh stopped manufacturing them). So, Chevy (GM) dealers can’t order the sensors from GM anymore.

NOTE: The 1998/1999 C5 Sensor are different from later model Vettes, e.g., 2000 and later, so the newer sensors are not interchangeable. . . .

OPTIONS: Locate and order a used Sensor (not easy to find and if you do the salvage folks are charging as much for the used part as you would pay for a new one). That's what I've done. . . . .

I’m having my 1999 C5 worked on now (as we speak). I had to buy a “USED” Sensor ($350.00 ~ Used).

What's Involved: To replace the sensor the steering wheel and steering column have to be removed ($$$$ ~ Labor). For me, this is the second “used” sensor I have order and having installed. I was lucky; the shop that’s working on my Vette (and ordered the first sensor) didn’t charge me for the part or the labor on the first attempt at replacing the sensor.
(I’m hoping this 2nd sensor will take care of the problem).

FYI ~ Cost for part and labor can run upwards to $600.-$800. (it ain’t cheap) !

FYI ~ This is a known problem by GM, but no resolution seems to be in the making.:issues:

tbrent 08-12-2013 8:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmaduke (Post 1001574)
I'm having the same problem with my 1999 C5 . . . . it's the "Steering Wheel Position Sensor" located on the bottom end of the steering column under the dash.

GM no longer manufactures the sensor (well, actually Bosh manufactures them. GM and Bosh have had a falling out, so Bosh stopped manufacturing them). So, Chevy (GM) dealers can’t order the sensors from GM anymore.

NOTE: The 1998/1999 C5 Sensor are different from later model Vettes, e.g., 2000 and later, so the newer sensors are not interchangeable. . . .

OPTIONS: Locate and order a used Sensor (not easy to find and if you do the salvage folks are charging as much for the used part as you would pay for a new one). That's what I've done. . . . .

I’m having my 1999 C5 worked on now (as we speak). I had to buy a “USED” Sensor ($350.00 ~ Used).

What's Involved: To replace the sensor the steering wheel and steering column have to be removed ($$$$ ~ Labor). For me, this is the second “used” sensor I have order and having installed. I was lucky; the shop that’s working on my Vette (and ordered the first sensor) didn’t charge me for the part or the labor on the first attempt at replacing the sensor.
(I’m hoping this 2nd sensor will take care of the problem).

FYI ~ Cost for part and labor can run upwards to $600.-$800. (it ain’t cheap) !

FYI ~ This is a known problem by GM, but no resolution seems to be in the making.:issues:

I have an '01 and have to address this problem soon as well... But the reason I am posting is your engine bay is GORGEOUS!:cert:

Sorry to get off topic OP... Would love details about this engine bay full of candy though... Phew

Marmaduke 09-15-2013 7:20pm

Engine Bay ~ 1999 C5 Coupe

tbrent,

Engine is a 2010 LS3, 6.2 Liter, Stroked to 427ci. Dyno'ed at 562 RWHP
with 551 Ft lbs Torque @ 3000 RPM. Thanks for the comments.

tbrent 11-11-2013 8:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmaduke (Post 1036888)
tbrent,

Engine is a 2010 LS3, 6.2 Liter, Stroked to 427ci. Dyno'ed at 562 RWHP
with 551 Ft lbs Torque @ 3000 RPM. Thanks for the comments.

No problem! Like a piece of candy... Would love an LS3 but I just spent pretty penny's on LG 1 7/8 headers on my LS6 and don't think the wifey would appreciate having to sell take a loss and buy new again:banghead:

Speaking of this steering wheel position sensor problem,,, has anyone gone about somehow deleting their active handling? Is this possible?

Maybe I should start another thread...:slap: