The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Younger Americans will have trouble believing this... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117506)

lspencer534 10-12-2018 11:13am

Younger Americans will have trouble believing this...

1 Attachment(s)
but there was once this guy named Walter Cronkite, who would read the news on television every week night. He didn't seem to have an agenda, or try to make anyone look bad, or good. He would just read the news, and then, get this...WE WOULD ALL MAKE UP OUR OWN MINDS ABOUT WHAT WE THOUGHT.

He didn't interview smarmy, opinionated talking heads; he just read the news, matter of factly, and then he would just sign off and shut up.

I'm not making this up.

Attachment 19499

6spdC6 10-12-2018 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1646093)
but there was once this guy named Walter Cronkite, who would read the news on television every week night. He didn't seem to have an agenda, or try to make anyone look bad, or good. He would just read the news, and then, get this...WE WOULD ALL MAKE UP OUR OWN MINDS ABOUT WHAT WE THOUGHT.

He didn't interview smarmy, opinionated talking heads; he just read the news, matter of factly, and then he would just sign off and shut up.

I'm not making this up.

Attachment 19499

Read a little more about your "unbiased hero" and his reports during the Vietnam war!

PS I'm now 73 and saw and heard it as it occurred!-:leaving:

Sea Six 10-12-2018 11:43am

Cronkite was the one who BEGAN liberal media left wing bias.

He ****ing chartered and commanded the first flight.

Replace Cronkite with Edward R. Muro and you've got yourself a thread.

Cybercowboy 10-12-2018 12:08pm

Yeah, I was going to say, Conkrite?

Dan Dlabay 10-12-2018 1:57pm

AS far as I am concerned he is the one who turned the American people against the Vietnam war and the U.S. Military.

Giraffe (He/Him) 10-12-2018 4:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay (Post 1646108)
AS far as I am concerned he is the one who turned the American people against the Vietnam war and the U.S. Military.

I think this is pretty accurate. Prior to his visit to Vietnam on the heels of the Tet Offensive Wally was pretty hawkish and for the most part supported the war.

His little editorial calling the war unwinnable pissed off LBJ. “If I’ve lost Cronkite, I’ve lost Middle America.”

In todays 24/7 news coverage, we have no modern Cronkite equivalent.

ToolMaker 10-14-2018 6:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1646093)

I'm not making this up.

Attachment 19499

I remember, and I wish he had stayed that way. :yesnod:

Corvette4ever 10-14-2018 7:56am

He had an opinion I am afraid.

Mike Mercury 10-14-2018 9:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1646098)
Cronkite was the one who BEGAN liberal media left wing bias.

He ****ing chartered and commanded the first flight.

Replace Cronkite with Edward R. Muro and you've got yourself a thread.

http://www.tim-yvonne.com/gif/bell1.gif

I don't think Cronkite initially started out like that , but he certainly became biased.

Sea Six 10-14-2018 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corvette4ever (Post 1646328)
He had an opinion I am afraid.

How do you feel about his opinion?

mrvette 10-14-2018 11:30am

Korea was a mistake, WTF did WE have in the fight?? nothing, not our business......net affect is we have yet another competitor on the econ front....

VNam......largest waste of men I could ever imagine, WTF?? repeat the Korea mistake?? why?? what was our supposed GAIN from all that??......

same for the islamic wars, not only went after the rong GUY, Sadass, but have been FEEDING the most dangerous islamics going.....WHY?? THAT is such a simple war to win, it's pathetic, but no, we got our men on the ground accomplishing NOTHING!!!! getting confused/buffaloed by all the damn islamic lies from them supposed NATIONS?? they not a nation, none of them, they are just minor states run by dick-taters......average IQ of 70......

:issues::issues:

Mike Mercury 10-14-2018 2:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1646373)
Korea was a mistake, WTF did WE have in the fight?? nothing, not our business......net affect is we have yet another competitor on the econ front....

VNam......largest waste of men I could ever imagine, WTF?? repeat the Korea mistake?? why?? what was our supposed GAIN from all that??......

and Walter Cronkite was revealed as not being a journalist; instead an opinionated politically biased person who was masquerading as a journalist.

polarbear 10-14-2018 3:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 1646118)
I think this is pretty accurate. Prior to his visit to Vietnam on the heels of the Tet Offensive Wally was pretty hawkish and for the most part supported the war.

His little editorial calling the war unwinnable pissed off LBJ. “If I’ve lost Cronkite, I’ve lost Middle America.”

In todays 24/7 news coverage, we have no modern Cronkite equivalent.

He was right though.

Sea Six 10-14-2018 4:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbear (Post 1646399)
He was right though.

He damned sure made it easier for them to win after he turned a bunch of Americans against the war.

The North Vietnamese leaders said the war was won for them over here, not over there... with the willing assistance of our media.

Dan Dlabay 10-14-2018 4:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1646400)
He damned sure made it easier for them to win after he turned a bunch of Americans against the war.

The North Vietnamese leaders said the war was won for them over here, not over there... with the willing assistance of our media.

I remember reading about the first American P.O.W. pilot 1965 who said that his interrogator was a North Vietnamese officer. He told him the WE will not meet you militarily but we will win because your government and people will not support and will not have the will to finish this war.

Sea Six 10-14-2018 5:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay (Post 1646403)
I remember reading about the first American P.O.W. pilot 1965 who said that his interrogator was a North Vietnamese officer. He told him the WE will not meet you militarily but we will win because your government and people will not support and will not have the will to finish this war.

Brought to you by the courageous efforts of that Communist America-hating bastard known as Walter Kronkite.

:mad:

polarbear 10-14-2018 6:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1646400)

Never should have been there in the first phucking place. Huge mistake, huge loss of life... no earthly reason.

My only regret is the lack of respect servicemen received that went there. Hope LBJ rots in hell.

mrvette 10-14-2018 7:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbear (Post 1646418)
Never should have been there in the first phucking place. Huge mistake, huge loss of life... no earthly reason.

My only regret is the lack of respect servicemen received that went there. Hope LBJ rots in hell.

Total agreement, said the same, A little differently, as I blame the crooks in DC over it ALL.....

:issues: