The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Annual flu shot thread (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120181)

MrPeabody 09-03-2019 2:31pm

Annual flu shot thread

They're having theirs over at CFOT, so I figured we should get it out of the way here, too.:D

The hospital I volunteer at requires it, or spend the winter wearing a mask at work. And it's free. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Barn Babe 09-03-2019 2:34pm

I get it religiously every year. Last year I got a different strain than I was vaccinated for, but the rest of the years I stayed healthy.

I spoke to my doctor a couple of weeks ago and he said that, unless there's an outbreak, the optimal time to get it is in October.

:barnbabe:

MrPeabody 09-03-2019 2:46pm

Every October our county has a Health & Safety/First Responders fair at the fairgrounds. Our hospital gives away flu shots there. Over 2,000 shots last year.:yesnod:

99 pewtercoupe 09-03-2019 3:34pm

The only time I have ever got the flu shot was in 2007 when I was undergoing chemo for HCL treatment. Never got the flu before or since.

What pisses me off is I have been trying to get the shingles vaccine for almost a year and none of the pharmacies around us have it. They keep saying it’s a national shortage but I hear people in other parts of the country are able to walk right in and get it

Barn Babe 09-03-2019 3:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1682634)
The only time I have ever got the flu shot was in 2007 when I was undergoing chemo for HCL treatment. Never got the flu before or since.

What pisses me off is I have been trying to get the shingles vaccine for almost a year and none of the pharmacies around us have it. They keep saying it’s a national shortage but I hear people in other parts of the country are able to walk right in and get it

I've been on the wait list at my local CVS for over a year... I can't find it anywhere.

VITE1 09-03-2019 4:43pm

I will get mine friday.

99 pewtercoupe 09-03-2019 4:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1682636)
I will get mine friday.

So you survived the Dorian blow job? 😁

Bill 09-03-2019 6:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1682634)

I got both of them (it's a series of 2 shots) this year. I buy a lot of meds for Mom, so I know the pharmacist pretty well. She gave me the heads up when they had shipments coming in. Easy peasy.

:dance:

JRD77VET 09-03-2019 7:16pm

My wife works at the local hospital and she has a choice on the flu shot. Get it and keep your job or decline and work somewhere else.

04 commemorative 09-03-2019 7:18pm

Wife and I get ours every year and will get it soon

VITE1 09-03-2019 8:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1682638)
So you survived the Dorian blow job? 😁

Yes. It was so damn boring here. I feel so bad for the people of the Bahamas. 48 plus hours of 185mph winds and massive rain with storm surge of almost 30 feet.

Wathen1955 09-03-2019 10:28pm

I have to get one every year, because I had my spleen removed back in the mid 80's. I've only gotten lightly sick about 10% of the time, but nothing with the full blown flu.

86RAG 09-04-2019 6:04am

I've been getting flu shots for years, but ended up getting the flu this spring, with viral pneumonia on top of it. I was sick as hell for a few days, and then felt like crap for about 3 weeks after. I'll still get the shot this year though. :yesnod:

NEED-A-VETTE 09-04-2019 8:01am

I work in healthcare. The flu shot literally comes to me. Nurse walks in my office, “Time for your flu shot!!!”

I am not patient facing (someone that interacts daily with patients as part of their role) but I work in a building where patients are present. Therefore the flu shot is mandated. We do have the option of declining the shot but if we do we have to wear masks thru April.

Norm 09-04-2019 8:03am

Every year, just got it a few weeks ago. Got the new shingles shot too.

Rob 09-04-2019 9:02am

Never had the shot....Never had the flu....

Up until March 2019...when someone at my son's school spread the virus. Then my two boys, my daughter, and myself all ended up with the flu. Luckily, I was able to get some Tamiflu for myself, my youngest son and daughter, but the oldest was past the time that it would have helped him. Sadly, he took a beating with the flu and was out of school for almost two weeks.

This year, the whole family will get the shot. :yesnod:

BADRACR1 09-04-2019 4:18pm

Never had one.

Millenium Vette 09-04-2019 5:41pm

I got the flu shot this afternoon at Walmart while I was there to pick up a prescription. I was going to wait until October, but the pharmacist advised getting it today. His reasoning was that it takes a couple of weeks to be fully effective.

PS: They also mentioned they have the Shingrix vaccine for shingles on hand. I got both shots a year ago, so I am all set.

:cert:

SubZero 09-04-2019 6:38pm

not puttin' that government shit in my body :skia: who knows what else is in there :kick:

04 commemorative 09-04-2019 8:52pm

:lol: