The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Minimum wage (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47546)

DAB 02-15-2013 6:51pm

Minimum wage

Our state is debating raising the minimum wage to about $9/hr.

The city of Santa Fe has a minimum wage of about $11/hr.

Who makes sure I earn a minimum amount as a business owner?

Sea Six 02-15-2013 6:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 886728)

[thestate]WGAFF?ShutUpAndPullTheWagon[/thestate]

73sbVert 02-15-2013 6:58pm

I'm sure Phil will have some words of wisdom, so just stand by...

:rolleyes:

carlton_fritz 02-15-2013 7:57pm

Raising the minimum wage is one of the most moronic things politicians have ever conceived.

DAB 02-15-2013 8:02pm

as i'm cruising thru wallymart this morning (i needed printer ink), i spy a 12"x12" end grain cutting board....hmmm....how much they asking? $30. interesting. there's about 2 board feet of wood there, i can get nice maple for about $6/bf, so that's about $12 of lumber alone. no way i could make that and sell it for $30 and earn more than a pittance after all other costs are included.

i'll stick to one offs, and not worry about making money in my shop. if peeps cover shipping and material costs, i'll be thrilled, and if they want to toss a little into my gun and ammo fund, that'd be most appreciated. :DAB:

Blue 92 02-15-2013 8:07pm

You obviously need to open a facility overseas, hire 200 -300 10-12 year old children and mass produce them.

That will avoid having to pay for Obamecare and as a bonus charge your trips to inspect your facility (AKA vacations) as a business expense. :seasix:

78SA 02-15-2013 8:12pm

That's getting close to my pay. :leaving:

Back40 02-15-2013 9:14pm

Old ranch owner John farmed a small ranch in Montana. The Montana Wage and Hour Department claimed he was not paying proper wages to his workers and sent an agent out to interview him.

'I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them,' demanded the agent.

'Well,' replied old John, 'There's my ranch hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board. The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $500 a week plus free room and board. Then there's the half-wit who works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night.'

'That's the guy I want to talk to, the half-wit,' says the agent.

'That would be me,' replied old rancher John.

ft laud mike 02-15-2013 9:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back40 (Post 886845)
Old ranch owner John farmed a small ranch in Montana. The Montana Wage and Hour Department claimed he was not paying proper wages to his workers and sent an agent out to interview him.

'I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them,' demanded the agent.

'Well,' replied old John, 'There's my ranch hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board. The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $500 a week plus free room and board. Then there's the half-wit who works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night.'

:rofl::cert:

ConstantChange 02-15-2013 9:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton_fritz (Post 886769)
Raising the minimum wage is one of the most moronic things politicians have ever conceived.

:iagree:

I would be in favor of eliminating the minimum wage. Let the market set the wage for a particular job.

Craig 02-15-2013 9:56pm

Union and Davis-Bacon wages are set based, in part, on minimum wage rates; that's why the Dems want them raised. Payback for continued union support.

DukeAllen 02-15-2013 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 92 (Post 886779)
You obviously need to open a facility overseas, hire 200 -300 10-12 year old children and mass produce them.

That will avoid having to pay for Obamecare and as a bonus charge your trips to inspect your facility (AKA vacations) as a business expense. :seasix:

Mass produce the parts...or the children?:leaving:

Blue 92 02-15-2013 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeAllen (Post 886876)
Mass produce the parts...or the children?:leaving:

Could be either or both. Depends on which is more profitable. :yesnod:

DukeAllen 02-16-2013 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 92 (Post 886880)
Could be either or both. Depends on which is more profitable. :yesnod:

You'll need some investors for that project:D

NeedSpeed 02-16-2013 1:54am

I have mixed emotions on this.

As a worker, the cost of living drives what a realistic wage should be. Gas alone is about $3.50/gal. Unless you're working close to your job, the cost of transportation and food alone will take a good part of your check, let alone day care if you need it.

As an employer, if you can't afford to pay your employee a respectable wage, you don't need them. If you're doing enough business where you need help, you'll pay the wage or not grow any further, regardless of what it is.

NeedSpeed 02-16-2013 2:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waco (Post 886969)
So you're saying I can look forward to higher prices for everything worth buying in Sante Fe?

Which is why you gotta be careful where you choose to work. The mortgage on my house here outside of Memphis is easily about the same as a small apartment in Cali. I'm on an acre of land and only about 45min from downtown.

I could easily double my salary if I lived in Cali. Would probably still need to live in an apartment.

Of course, Memphis blows. :leaving:

MrPeabody 02-16-2013 3:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 886728)
Our state is debating raising the minimum wage to about $9/hr.

The city of Santa Fe has a minimum wage of about $11/hr.

You do.

island14 02-16-2013 4:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back40 (Post 886845)

:rofl:

Hows things going at your farm/ranch? :kimblair:

78SA 02-16-2013 4:53am

Minimum wage jobs are not supposed to be careers. They are not supposed to pay for the cost of an apartment or house or new car.